Finances during PhDs (and holidays)

R

Hi All,

I have been offered a fully funded 4 year PhD, starting in September. I'm still waiting to get all the final details etc sent through. I know it is rude to talk about money, however I need to plan ahead what I will be able to afford. I feel cheeky (and a little rude) asking the people who have offered me this positions the questions below.

My studentship/ stipend is around £13,500 which to me sounds quite reasonable as it is tax free, right? I know I'll have to downgrade on shopping etc and be a little more careful with ££, but no big dramas!

Do many people have to take part time jobs? I keep hearing you can earn a few extra pennies doing practicals with undergrads? Can you also lecture and if so what experience do you need and how do you go about it?
Can you apply for further funding from other places? (although it sounds a little greedy to me!). Do you get NUS discounts?

And can you go on holiday? Do you have a set allowance like in a job?

Just wanted to hear from few current/past/prospective PhD students.

:-)

W

My studentship/ stipend is around £13,500 which to me sounds quite reasonable as it is tax free, right? I know I'll have to downgrade on shopping etc and be a little more careful with ££, but no big dramas!

Yes, it is tax free. It may be paid monthly (better for budgeting) or per term.

Do many people have to take part time jobs? I keep hearing you can earn a few extra pennies doing practicals with undergrads? Can you also lecture and if so what experience do you need and how do you go about it?

You can get a part time job, but you'll find it tough if you're working as a full time PhD student. Some universities also have strict rules for funded PhD students re work. You can earn money by doing demonstrations, some lectures and seminars. If you're doing a graduate teaching assistantship, then you may be expected to teach a bit anyway (up to 6 hours per week).

Can you apply for further funding from other places? (although it sounds a little greedy to me!). Do you get NUS discounts?

Of course you can apply for funding to other places, for things like conferences and training courses. And, yep, you can join the NUS and get discounts.

And can you go on holiday? Do you have a set allowance like in a job?

Whilst not exactly and 9 to 5 job, you are entitled to holidays. Whether you take them, with the work load you may have have (particularly in the 3rd year and write-up) is up to you.

Oh, and congratulations in being awarded a funded PhD!

R

Thanks! That makes me feel a little less anxious about things! :-P