Financial Issues and Concerns of Overseas Students

S

Hi everyone,

It makes me so sad that most people who embark on a PhD have to go through so many financial difficulties. I am just wondering how overseas students manage if it is so expensive in the UK particularly London. I have this friend of mine who has been awarded a studentship at the home/EU rate (7,450) and a stipend of 13, 290 (I think she would need to pay 4,500 from her stipend to cover the difference which leaves her with 8,790 for alll other expenses). She happens to be quite worried as to how she is going to cope for three years on such a limited allowance as she is not in the position to fund herself. If she pays the difference between the home and international fees from her stipend, will the rest not be enough for her to survive on if she cuts down on her costs? Sorry for sounding so naive but I'd like to help her in any way I can as she is really worried about this.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!

P

i am overseas, and am scraping bits and pieces of scholarships, raships, and worrying my head out in my sleep. am too worn out with it all to even comment more on this.

13000 pounds tuition, plus living, plus the pressures of finishing on time, plus making a great CV. its fun!

S

hi, I am also in the same situation, my stipend is even lower (!) but at least the university pays my fees on local rate (not international). They told me this when they offered me the scholarship. During my first four months in the UK, I moved FIVE TIMES.

I used to rent a room but things got so bad (the last time) I was forced to move out (and finally the landlord also forced my two remaining housemates to move out!!!); then instead of renting a room I got a 1-bed flat instead.

After paying the real estate agent 1 month's deposit and 1 month's rental as well as the administrative fees etc. I didn't have much money left. After getting broadband supply (and paying BT!!!) I had nothing left in my bank account. The first month was really difficult. There was one week before pay-day, I only had 59p in my wallet. All I could afford was a can of beans for 39p. I ate that for 2 days with bread. I couldn't even afford to buy a small hoover. But I am happier living here as I have now the peace to work on my thesis--but not the spare cash to save.

at first I was very worried thinking that I wouldn't even be able to afford buying my plane ticket home when I have completed this phd!!! I was so worried until I fell sick.

slowly I got better and made a "budget-plan". I don't stinge on food but I've cut back on other things, now I am very careful when I go shopping and only buy what I need. I also sent out job applications; last week I got a part-time job :-) its not much but at least I am consoled by the fact that I can save up that bit every month.

Please tell your friend not to worry. Theres always a way.

B

Um, I don't know if you have any art/humanities based PhD friends, but many home students make do with their £6k stipends and see us science PhDers as spoilt and overpaid. Even in London.

M

======= Date Modified 26 Mar 2009 19:36:07 =======
£9k will be tight, but she can work to up her income, or possibly get a student or professional loan. My studentship barely covered my costs, and I had to get a bank loan and borrow from parents (I'm a UK student btw).

Your friend should be very happy she actually got a studentship as they are not very often awarded to international students.

Your friend should also check out that she meets the new student visa requirements - I believe the rules have been tightened up regarding maintenance.

S

Thanks for all the responses. Satchi, I am sorry to hear that you went through such hard times initially. Misspacey, thanks for the advice about checking the visa requirements - I myself have applied for PhD studentship and if I am successful in obtaining it, then the same will apply for me.

T

I am a non-EU student and I was in the same situation before starting my PhD. My supervisor requested the university to waive-off the remaining portion of the fees and apply EU rate fees (as the scholarship covers only home/EU rate fees). His request was honored and now I have to pay EU rate fees for all the years. So in my opinion, discussing the problem with supervisor can help.