Finding a PhD - Will it improve my job prospects?

S

Hi, new to this site and already finding it a great resource!

I've done far, far better at my degree than I imagined. I was predicted a 2.2 but I ended up with a first, which has been a nice surprise but now I'm a bit thrown. I love my subject and I'm going to do a PGCE to teach, but I really want a PhD now I've done so well.

Should I do a masters, or should I do the teaching degree and then apply? I'm finding it really difficult to find one on a topic I want to do (Molecular biology). Will the teaching degree not look good on my CV? I can't afford to do a masters to be honest.

Will a PhD get me a better job, or is it purely for love of your subject? I'm 26 now so I'm worried I'll be too old to benefit from one as I'll be at least 30 by the time I finish.

Saxonwhittle

P

well. you have to love lab work and research to do a molecular bio Phd otherwise it would be three long years! if you would be doing it purely for Cv purposes i wouldnt bother as you could earn just as much doing other things.

Second you might have missed out on many funded PhDs for this year as its usually october starting date.

Is teaching what you want to do.. as you mention would that look good on your cv too, what is your ultimate aim?

S

Well I quite enjoy lab work, but I really enjoy research and I loved writing my honours project and also my literature review. I really wanted to get into science in the media/communication. Ultimately I'd love to write for someone like New Scientist or something. It would be impossible without a PhD as they are pretty important in science.

Teaching just seems like the next best option. Like I say, I don't mind lab work but I don't think I see a career in it - although I don't mind it every so often.

I applied for a PhD at the university where I graduated from but they told me I don't have enough experience - although I really can't afford to do a masters. Would working in a vaccination manufacturer's lab (Novartis - close to my home) be classed as experience?

It's all very confusing... i only left it so late because I never thought I'd get a first - not in a million years!

S

Hi Saxonwhittle, if you plan to do a PhD, you don't have to do PGCE, as a PhD would qualify you for teaching, and you will be exposed to teacher training courses during your first yr of a PhD.

well done on the first!

P

i went from Bsc to PhD, but did a years placement in research, most people where i am based have Mscs but not all, if your degree incorporated a lot of research and your enthusiastic some places a msc is not necesaary, but like i said funding deadlines are probably passed. I wouldnt advise doing a Phd if you like research once in a while its pretty much solid for the three years!

P

i know the communications people here all came from a Phd background but did many years in research before moving into that field so i would not recommend doing a Phd with the hope of moving directly into it. from my experience anyway.

S

Its not too late. There are still positions being advertised now you need to be quick though. I was offered a funded PhD just today and last week was invited for 2 interviews later this month so if you look around you should be able to find something

S

I tried to get into science communication direct from uni, but I couldn't even get an interview - it's what I would love to do but it seems nigh on imposible to get into.

Like I say, I don't mind research I guess I'm just a bit confused as to what my options are with a 1st as opposed to a 2.1 or 2.2. It hasn't made any difference for me in job applications at all.

I just can't afford to do a masters, there's no question of it as I already have too many financial commitments. I just don't want to waste my 1st

P

im not sure i first makes a difference in terms of ability to do a PhD ive often heard more people have 2.1 that do PhDs, and it wouldnt be wasting it if you didnt do a PhD, you have really got to be 100% motivated and committed as its hard work, if your hearts not in it, you wouldnt enjoy it and maybe end up leaving thus wasting years anyway.

H

I agree with phdgirlie, "not minding" research isn't really enough to do a phd. It's tough and grueling and it takes a lot of effort to stay motivated.

Congrats on your first but don't worry, you wont waste it by not doing a PhD. I myself have a 2.2 so it's not a neccesity for most sciences.

Have no idea about how you can get into the communications side. If teaching is what you are interested in, then go for it and think about the writing on the side.

P

Wow saxonwhittle, I thought you had stole my identity for a moment. I also was due to start a PGCE this september and am also in sciences (molecular bio and analytical chem). I got a 1st as well. I had considered a PhD but didn't have any luck in my applications and kind of settled to go into teaching. However, after grad a PhD came up at my uni and I got it. My feeling is that a PhD is a unique opportunity whereas a PGCE can be done at anytime (I know my friend's mum has just qualified at 48). Go with what you feel is right. Good luck!

S

When I say I don't mind research, I understand it can be tough and gruelling! I don't mind it because I feel pretty proud of the finished product. I worked really hard on my hons. project and my literature review, and I'm really proud of the result.

I'm going to carry on applying but I have no idea if I will ever get on one as I just can't face doing an unfunded masters course. I can only think of getting a lab job for a year to get lab experience but I would hate to do that and get knocked back next summer as well.

At least with teaching I know I can walk into a steady job so I've got an income.

H

Go into teaching - you can do a PhD anytime and at least teaching is a rewarding career, rather than staring into eppendorf tubes all day!