Finding an external examiner

P

I'm an arts PhD in my final year and I'm beginning to think about external examiners - bit quick off the mark with this one as not looking at completing for a little while, but I'm just thinking ahead. How much input does the PhD student have into choosing the external? What should you look for? - I'm working in a relatively new field and there are only two people who've published in this area so I think they are the obvious first and second choices but my supervisor disagrees - she wants to approach someone who teaches in this area, but hasn't published. I'm really scared at the thought of the viva and really fear that the external might not pass me! Any advice?

R

I'm sure it's a different process depending on your university - but here I was told that your supervisor picks your external examiner (i.e. you don't get to suggest an examiner yourself) but you do have the option to 'veto' someone if you're not happy with who they've picked. My supervisor has already picked my examiner - I don't know why because I'm nowhere near finishing lol

I have heard though that another student (also in my department) was actually told to pick her own examiner so who bloody knows really!!! Why can't they all just stick to one set of rules

B

Look at people who you think might be suited to being your extern, and tell your supervisor about them (I'm sure they'll have opinions on some of them - i.e. "I've met them and they are xxx").

The choice of your extern is usually something both you AND your supervisor decide on (they might also know some people who would be good).

HOWEVER ... the problem with externs is that it really is 'pot luck' - you can't predict how people are going to be in the viva itself!!!

S

As far as my friend's experiences go, yes, its a mixture of student and supervisor who decides. (One supervisor rejected an option because every time she heard this guy's name she burst into a fit of giggles).
What you need to remember is the quality of the external effects how your PhD is perceived - I have always been told to pick the best name I could, even if they can only comment on part of the PhD. You'll probably use them as a reference so a big name might be better.

J

Seems a bit dodgy to me, letting a student pick their own examiner...of course, they'd pick wheoever has a repuation for giving students an easy ride, wouldn't they? Or am I being cynical

J

what a hypocritical UK university system. If a PhD thesis passes or fail should not be dependent on the selected examiner, but the quality of the thesis. Yet, this happens all the time.

E

Personally I wouldn't pick an external known for giving students an easy ride because if I know they have a reputation for being easy then so will other academics and the value of my PhD and my ability as a researcher can be questioned. Plus I'd always be niggled by the worry that I didn't deserve to pass...

P

No, I'm not interested in picking someone who's going to give me an easy ride - anyway, is this really true of ANY academic?? But I really do want to get someone who will be a good referee - so I'm probably going to take sleepyhead's advice... if I can. The problem is that my supervisor has decided on someone who hasn't published in this area - just because this person is her friend, I think - I'm going to try and change her mind asap.
Thanks for all the advice!

S

I was recently told who my external would be - no discussion or even hint that there could be! But the choice seems good to me though, so not complaining. Just hadn't realised I might be consulted.

Z

I chose my own external & my supervisors agreed - nothing to do with an 'easy ride', but because shes really well-known & respected in my field, which should probably be the best reason for choosing someone.
Pozzo, i think you should definitely have input into this decision, and if you're not happy with it, then you should definitely say so. its outrageous that your supervisor is choosing someone unpublished on account of them being her friend.

H

I had my viva last year. Although you don't get much input in the FINAL decision, you can indicate to your supervisor who you think would be good. Personally I would go with someone who YOU really want to read your thesis. Remember only a handful people will read it in totality so going for someone whose opinion you value and respect is probably a good idea. I think choosing someone who has some experience supervising phds and conducting vivas is important. You don't want a young gun who is out to show what they know rather than getting the best from you. Good luck.