Finding it hard to stay focused...

C

Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to the forum but I just wanted to ask for your opinions on my current situation....

I started my PhD in October 2013 after getting a 1st in my BA Hons (not sure whether this may be part of my problem since I didnt gain the experience of completing a Masters). I started out with my project and defining my idea for the frst three months (in consumer behaviour) which then fell through in Jan this year...I then began to develop new ideas for a new project, but within a silimar topic area to my first idea but because of data collection issues this idea also failed...during the past few months Ive been focusing on assignments I had to complete for compulsory modules (in philosophy and qualitative and qualtitatve methods) and Ive begun to find a new focus ...again similar to my previous two, but it requires me to start from stratch because all the literature I have read and everything I wrote for my literature review now becomes irrelevant and so I don't have any physical work to show for my PhD so far...After nearly a year from starting my PhD, I feel like I've fallen behind everyone who stated with me and some days I really find it hard to keep going because I feel I have nothing to show for the last year of my work. I really want to do well with this but sometimes I feel so lost and I can't concentrate. I feel guilty about taking time off because I feel I don't really deserve a break because I haven't got anything done and I don't know whats best. I just wanted to know if anyone has experienced anything similar or if not, what are your thoughts on this? Any comments would be much appreciated!!

Thanks

K

Agree with Boo and would add that the process you've been through is very common, even although it might not have been shared by the students around you. You’ve worked hard and have found your focus so be pleased about that.

Don’t get into the mindset of not deserving a break - there's still a long way to go so enjoy your breaks guilt-free when you can get them, otherwise there's a danger of burning out.

C

Thank you for your help :)

When I look back, I can see that I have come a long way and that I've learnt so much in the process, so I can understand when you say that I shouldn't see my time as wasted, but this tends to get subsumed by the fact that others around me are doing really well and they experience no set backs like I feel I have. I also compare myself to others around me, by way of measuring my progress and I know that I need to focus more on myself rather than them, but it can be hard when I know that I still have so much work to do and a year has nearly passed.

I think I need to take some time, like you say and 're-plan' my project for the next two years to stay focused! I think part of my problem is that I havent been giving myself clear deadlines recently, so once I've sorted this I should be able to concentrate on my work one piece at a time, without trying to do everything at once.

Yes, I have taken the day off here and there to clear my head, which can help for a short while. I'm going away in October so Im going to use this as something to work towards and then i can clear my head whilst I have a break. Sometimes it can be exhausting, I seem to finish working for the day but it constantly creeps into my mind and is always the first thing on my mind when I wake up and recently Ive been dreaming about it! I do enjoy my work but sometimes I lose motivation when I lose track of things.

K

This sounds completely normal I'm afraid! All of the things you describe - setbacks, feeling lost, inability to concentrate, feeling like you’re not making enough progress, being hard on yourself and the constant presence of the thesis in your mind - are, for me at least, part and parcel of the PhD experience and some of the biggest challenges of getting through it.

It’s difficult not to compare your progress with those around you but it’s really not helpful and that way madness lies. It could be you’re used to thinking that way from your undergraduate days but really, try to stop it. Some people do get through it without hitches but the majority seem to hit challenges somewhere along the way.

It could be that the other students are giving an impression of smooth progress that might not reflect reality. It has been known! Either way, do what you can to focus on your own work.

C

I remember when I first started and I had so much enthusiasm for my work! I guess its good to know that Its not just me that goes through this kind of experience, (although its not nice to experience!). I think I need to give myself more of a focus! I've been thinking after reading everyone's comments and I feel that this can help me get back on track and re-gain my enthusiasm because at the minute I'm not really seeing any progress.

Yes, I think it is like my Undergraduate days, because I used to compare myself and my grades to other peoples, and this is what encouraged me to do better and keep going, but now I think its doing the opposite! I think I need to take one step at a time and see all of my progress as good progress however small it sometimes is.

Yes, I think your right about other students!

Thanks for you help! :)