Finding teaching experience

C

Hi I was wondering if you kind chaps could give me some advice? I will be starting a PhD in October and I am looking for teaching experience (preferably paid because I am self funding).
I have googled graduate teaching assistant jobs and nothing has come up, so how do other students go about getting this kind of work? (my own university has nothing at the moment)
Any info would be great.
Cheers :-)

S

The best place for academic jobs (including quite a few part-time teaching posts that tend to come up at this time of year) is www.jobs.ac.uk . The 'disciplines' they use are not very helpful - and its often well worth looking at 'related' subjects that may have teaching more suited to your skills.

Alternatively, its always worth sending your CV off to the Head of School/dept at other local Universities you'd be willing to travel to - especially ex-polys who may not have the critical mass of PhD students found at Russell group etc. Saying that, they are unlikely to take you on until you already have a bit of teaching experience behind you (depending on your subject)

C

Hi thanks for that, my subject is psychology and I have a MSc in cognitive psychology so I was hoping that would help me find some casual part time work.

S
C

Cheers Sashca :-)

O

Try to let the staff in your department know that you are interested in teaching. They are usually good with letting you know when other departments have such vacancies. I have been pointed in the direction of a couple opportunities that way.

Also, try to be proactive. Send out prospective CVs out to local departments as well. And let your supervisor know it is something you are really interested in doing as well.