First conference coming up

W

I've got my first conference soon......any tips on what to expect? Also, I know it's a very girly question...but what do people wear to conferences? Are you expected to dress smartly or is it all very imformal?
Thanks

P

Tee hee...that is exactly what I wanted to ask someone when I was going to my first conference...it is so important for a girl, isn't it? From what I can gather, it depends on what conference it is, and where it is held...some are all suits and ties, some a bit more everyday wear...can't be more specific sorry. If you are presenting, I would put effort in to look professional - when I presented, my supervisor kept asking me what I planned on wearing, so he could approve/advise...he even started advising about ironing techniques, but suspect that was a joke!

D

It depends on the weather! I think if its a smart clothes conference it will say so otherwise... it doesnt matter. Academics are usually quite laid abck about this stuff...

well they are in computign@!

W

so would jeans be ok? or should i stick to black trousers? Decisions, decisions! I'm being such a girl about this, i know, but now i've made it into such a big deal that i'm too scared to ask anyone at uni!

A

It's always suits at the conferences I go to (medical field though so lots of consultants about!). I would always wear a suit to present, if just attending you can be more casual. It does depend on the field though so ask other students/post-docs in the department for advice. If still in doubt, I'd go for smart casual (black trousers and smart top would be fine), jeans might be a bit risky! Good luck

A

Ah but you statisticians are a scruffy lot

A

It also depends on wear the conference is. If it's somewhere hot, people are much more casual (t-shirt and shorts, even if presenting!). I wish someone had told me that before I wore a suit in 35oC heat...

A

where not wear!! All this talk of clothes is affecting my grammar!

H

I often wear jeans but normally smart it up a bit by wearing them with smart boots/shoes and a nice top.

If I was presenting, I would probably make more of an effort and dress up a bit.

J

depends on the nature of the conference and what type of impression you want to make. if i was going to a big north american conference with lots of industrial types i would wear a smart shirt at least. if i was going to a purely academic conference where there were loads of people i knew well anyway, i would dress how i normally dress everyday (i.e. scruffy) :D

J

I don't really think jeans suit girls. I know this has nowt to do with conferences, but I don't know why so many girls live in blue jeans. Unless you're a size 4 they can be very unflattering on the female backside.

M

What do you suggest instead juno?

A

Re: jeans

Apparently, it's all about big pockets with the theory being that the bigger the pockets, the smaller your bum looks, hahaha!!! [Read that in the Daily Mail, and we know how credible that is!!]

Personally, I think you have to be teeny tiny to pull off the skinny jeans thing, but a pair of boot-cut jeans can be very flattering for most people.

A

Ah yes, DanB, good point!

H

Ann, I always read the opposite. If you have a large derriere (like myself), stay away from pockets, they make them look even bigger.

My most flattering pair of jeans were ones without pockets on the back. Unfortunately I put on loads of weight thanks to this phd and they didn't fit so my mum threw them away