First email to potential supervisor....help!

N

I have just been on the website of the university where I want to do a PhD and seen a funding opportunity that I want to go for, the whole application has to be in by 8th Feb. So obviously I need to start contacting supervisors, I have identified two professors there who I think I'd like to supervise me, my MSc tutor also recommended them based on what I am interested in, and advised me to contact them in the new year.

I have an idea of the research I want to do, and the methodology I want to use but it is very vague still. I am also still doing my MSc (full time) so unfortunately don't have a grade or any evidence of my progress. I know I've panicked about this on PGF before, but I'm a bit worried about not saying the right thing in the first email, as obviously first impressions count a lot. I'm probably worrying a lot for no real reason, I just really want and need to create a good impression.

Thanks in advance, Natassia x

P

======= Date Modified 14 Jan 2010 08:10:22 =======
hi there!

Hmm, have you got a 'writing sample'? Like a mini-essay, a review or something else as a sample of your academic writing? If yes, great, if not, totally great :-) When I did my applications, like you, I too had no grades, and in fact for my 6 US applications which had to be in by like December (i started my MSc in October) I had just got 7 weeks into the programme and the apps had to be in (!!)

So - my point is, it's doable! They have been used to MSc students applying without taking a year off, so that's ok!

I think you should try to look at it from their PoV:

1. Does this student have an intellectual agenda that's sufficiently precise, realistic, although also ambitious for this very early stage? (i.e. they want to see your core theoretical competence)
2. Can this student articulate it well? (i.e. your language skills, but more, clarity in thinking)
3. Has this student approached *me* specifically? (i.e. the question of 'fit')
4. Can I identify clear links between my interests and theirs? (i.e. again fit, and more than just copied from their websites)

I think a letter that ensures the reader can answer these questions to the affirmative, plus your CV, plus a writing sample if you have one (if you do, the better it is in basics - style, referencing etc) - sending these in might be fine!

Edit to add: mind you, these are all things you wil develop through your main (proper) application as well, all I am suggesting are indicative aspects of what a person receing many such emails might seek!
If you've got someone in your current uni to read through great! I didn't and managed ok

Good luck! You#re an ambitious girl and I've got a feeling this or something else equally god will surely work out :-)

S

Hi there

This might not be appropriate - we have a different process in my country, but could you call the potential supervisors? Just as an intro and just tell them about your project, have a general conversation, get some informal feedback, have a chat, let them know you're applying. You'll find out stuff. They'd be used to students contacting them, and would probably think you're keen. It'll be important phone calls for you, but just another student for them - I'd phone them. Good luck!

T

Don't worry too much Natassia, the fact that you've sought them out and are keen on their work is hugely in your favour already.
When I applied to potential supervisors I started off with a fairly brief email, detailing how I became aware of them, what I knew of their work and why it appealed to me. I gave a summary of my university and work experience, and sketched out what my own interests and motivations were.

It's terribly nerve-wracking writing these things but my experience was pretty positive. The main feedback I got was that they were pleased to be approached by a motivated student, and could easily follow up with questions or a meeting when they wanted to know more.
Good luck!

N

Thanks for the replies, I know that everyone has to go through this process but it is quite daunting; its one thing having all these ideas that sound good in your head but then you have to express them to someone who has probably heard them all before!

I could send them a sample of my writing, I have some things that I did well in during my final year, or possibly a section of a MSc essay when I finally have one finished!

As for my ideas, I spoke to my tutor before Christmas and he told me to speak to him again in the New Year before approaching anyone, just so he could give me some guidance. I think my ideas are good at the moment although they aren't yet stable, I don't think thats expected at this stage though. I think they're quite ambitious in terms of methodology as I have never attempted anything like it before and will have to be taught how to do it (its a bit like psychoanalysis), therefore I am definitely pushing myself there, as well as with some of the theory I hope to use. I don't have anything approaching a research question yet though!

Sue - I think I'd rather email than call at this stage, however I can see the advantages of calling them. I've always emailed my tutors though and I think that is the convention at this university as well. I agree with you though in that I am just another student to him, I'm not doing anything unusual in contacting him about my research interests!

Thank you all for helping me to plan my email though, I think I'll email my tutor now then see what he says, its all quite exciting!

L

Hi Natassia,

I think you're very motivated and clear about what you want to do and this is the most important bit. I had been very shy to write a pre-proposal to approach the supervisors but I thought as the time goes by, the "right time" when I'm content with what I have in mind would never come. As it never does!
So definitely, go for a brief proposal or just explain the area you're interested in, say, in 300 words or so. Write to your 'ideal three' at the first round. Just to approach them. Youi don't have to know much about their work, just look at their research interests and say why you think that particular place could be the place. They do respond, and they will encourage you or lead you to someone else. I remember how vulnerably scared I was to read the first response I got from a potential supervisor, basically she was saying that I should go for it in the nicest way that I could imagine. Whatever feedback they give, it will absolutely fasten the process and motivate you even more. I was so scared at that point (well, I still am), but I was amazed at how nice they all were, they do understand your motivation and give support in the best way that they can.
Good luck with all, I'm sure you'll be very happy once you let it out.
Best,

leaf.

N

Hi Leaf, you're so right but its difficult to believe that they are genuinely nice and approachable when they are so important and everything they say matters so much. I sent an email on Friday afternoon basically saying what I had done and what I'm doing now, and what my interests for PhD study were, my tutor told me to keep it quite brief so I did, I think it was probably only about 150 words in total, if that.

I didn't expect to hear anything until at least Monday, but he got back to me today, says that he's interested and going to call me later in the week to discuss my ideas further! I'm so pleased that things are gradually starting to materialise but nervous about the phonecall, hope I don't say anything stupid.

T

That's fantastic news Natassia, well done!
I'm sure the call will go well, just be honest and enthusiastic and try not to worry too much, even supervisors are human - well, most are ;)

N

Thanks! I'm not normally nervous on the phone at all, but I know that when I'm waiting for the call I'll be terrified! I'm making sure I have an empty house, or I'll just take myself somewhere quiet!

L

Hi Natassia!

This is great news, congratulations!! I had two interviews with potential supervisors last week. The first one was my first interview at a university -ever!- and I just didn't know what to do with myself. It went great though, I'm not a native English speaker and although I'm usually quite confident, my vocabulary was as poor as a 5 yr old all of a sudden! But it wasn't my presentation and confidence they were interested in, they just asked direct to the point questions why I was interested in the particular subject and if I wanted to be an academic and implied that I already got the place. Then it went on like a chat. They even got rid of the titular address as soon as we met.

I am a disaster at job interviews - I just panic and ramble. But they both went so good. I think if they show interest in your first contact it is because they think you have the potential. Just concentrate on what you want to do and don't worry about your nervousness at all. I am sure the calls will go fine and you'll end up feeling much more motivated and confident than before.

Best of luck!!

leaf.