First paper rejected and commented...

N

Hi

I just got my first paper rejected and the reviewer really 'shoot' me with my work. The comments givens were realy make me think that there is a lot more to be done, but on the other side is I'm really worried of my work does not accepted by the community. What should I do? I'm really worried...

C

HI NMA

I think it's worth taking the opinion of your supervisor, particularly if they have experience on a journal editorial board to see whether they think your submission was broadly of a good enough standard that it might have a chance to be accepted (i.e. the reviewer may just be having an ego trip with a PhD student's work, and being unnecessarily harsh), or otherwise establish with your supervisor what steps you need to take to write to the appropriate standard for journal submission. If your PhD supervisor is not an experienced journal editor then try to get advice from a sympathetic senior member of your department who has experience on a journal.

R

have you tried getting it published in another journal?

N

Hi

yes, I'm currently improving the paper based on the comments I get..it is not a journal, it just a gonference paper..I must start practice writing from now. I heard from others taht writing is very hard.But only thing when we get 'shoot' by someone we feel demotivate of our work sometimes..and make me think - am I doing the right thing?? phd dilemma ..

J

Hi

You probably don't want to hear this and other's on this forum have been too polite to mention it, so I'm going to mention it now: I assume that your paper got rejected because your English is not up to standard. So I would improve that first and then try again. Sometimes they don't reject because of subject related issues but only because of writing or language skills.

S

Not at all too polite - but I would assume that either the paper was edited by the supervisor (or someone) for English before submission or if not, that would have been stated as a reason for rejection. Journals do have to give reasons - so if it was the English, that should be stated.

Othersise - whether being rejected means anything much is impossible for us to say without knowing more about the paper and project than is possible on a forum like this.

S

Otherwise, even