First PhD application..Do I continuing applying?

J

======= Date Modified 20 17 2009 20:17:56 =======
Hi guys.

I applied for a Phd studentship in Parasitology and unfortunately my application was unsuccessful. I was accepted last year and was about to take the place when sudden personal circumstances forced me to forfeit. The supervisor in question contacted me and said please apply again in the future. I did so for the same project but unfortunately I was unsuccessful First PhD application..Do I continuing applying?.

I was later informed that far more people applied for this studentship this time round. I know that alot more graduates are deciding to stay in higher education because of the current financial climate.

I guess this has knocked my confidence a little. I am still really interested in doing a Phd but I am slightly concerned that my undergrad degree will be a barrier (I received a 2:ii but have good Masters degree (65%)) especially as more people continue to enter postgraduate education.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

J

Z

You should continue with your applications if you can effort the time and effort. The most important bit is to find a supervisor who is interested in your PhD project. I have emailed summaries to potential supervisors at universities which had funding available. At first I was also turned down at one university. Now I have offers of two other universities.

W

Hiya Jimmy, I'd recommend searching this forum a bit. Over time there have been many people in a similar situation (2.2 and a good masters) and from what I can recollect, it has never proven to be a problem. From my own personal experience, I applied for a couple of PhDs and was knocked back twice before finally geting one, so good luck and don't give up (up)