First publication

H

Hi all,

Just had the official notification from the journal that my first ever submitted paper has been accepted for publication! The whole process has taken about a year, and I was originally asked to revise and resubmit about 6 months ago. Just wanted to share as often we all moan about the negatives of PhD life, rarely the positives!

I'm high as a kite at the moment!

Best,

T

Quote From HaloChanter:
Hi all,

Just had the official notification from the journal that my first ever submitted paper has been accepted for publication! The whole process has taken about a year, and I was originally asked to revise and resubmit about 6 months ago. Just wanted to share as often we all moan about the negatives of PhD life, rarely the positives!

I'm high as a kite at the moment!

Best,

omg, congratulations!

It took me 1/2 year for my conference proceeding to be accepted (not including the corrections that I had to do)!
I've nooo idea what it's going to be like for a journal publication!

H

Thanks tt_dan! Well I must admit, it was an 'interesting' introduction into the publication process. For the past two months I had virtually written it off as I hadn't heard anything for months on end after the R&R. I was moaning to my supervisor, and he suggested dropping them a very curteous line asking for a rough update. And walah - I received the formal acceptance.

Now I've gone from being very excited this morning, to be extremely anxious this afternoon about the world scrutinising my work - eek! But hey, I guess if you don't put yourself out there and hear what people think, then you can never improve your ideas, or on the other hand gain validation.

My supervisor is quite chuffed as I'm only half way through my PhD, so to have one in the bag feels great, especially for Humanities.

Thanks again.

Quote From HaloChanter:
Thanks tt_dan! Well I must admit, it was an 'interesting' introduction into the publication process. For the past two months I had virtually written it off as I hadn't heard anything for months on end after the R&R. I was moaning to my supervisor, and he suggested dropping them a very curteous line asking for a rough update. And walah - I received the formal acceptance.

Now I've gone from being very excited this morning, to be extremely anxious this afternoon about the world scrutinising my work - eek! But hey, I guess if you don't put yourself out there and hear what people think, then you can never improve your ideas, or on the other hand gain validation.

My supervisor is quite chuffed as I'm only half way through my PhD, so to have one in the bag feels great, especially for Humanities.

Thanks again.

Great news! :) When it comes to your viva too it will help to have something published already. I was moaning the other day that I have had no response from a journal for two weeks....but judging by your experience it can take them a while!

H

Ha - two weeks sounds like bliss! Well I heard it was common for this journal to take 6 months, so I figure a year is exceptional. God only knows when it will actually be in print!

Hearing acceptance from you guys sound amazing! But what keeps you guy writing publication. I recently lost my motivation to write paper. Was it hard for you to start?

H

My article was actually a converted MA dissertation, so the good feedback I received from that motivated me to do the article in the first place. Then, when I received a Revise & Resubmit, I was motivated to put the work in as I was so happy not to be rejected straight out! My patience and energy levels slumped as the months drew on, but, as my supervisor advised me, even top academics have articles rejected from time to time, so in a macabre sort of way it made me hang in there.

The success of this one has again spurred me on to begin writing another article, based on one of my completed PhD chapters.

Hope that helps.
Best,