First time teaching

L

This semester will be first time taking seminars and I am not ashamed to say I am bricking it.

Are there any web resources or books that people have used that look at teaching approaches?? I'm in the humanities.

Thanks mucho,
LD.

D

There's tons of stuff on teaching and learning in higher education, but they deal mainly with theory. What kind of book are you looking for? Are you able to have your peers observe you and you observe them?

P

Does your uni provide training for teaching. I had graduate teaching assistant training before I was allowed to teach and there were various other courses provided by the faculty. I would look into this.

H

Hello LD,

I'm in the same position so I've sent you a PM with a link to a PDF pamphlet written by a post-doc from my university, dealing with teaching as a PhD Student.

Best wishes,

N

I'm going into my second year of teaching but I remember the nervous feeling well, to be honest I feel nervous now as well! I didn't really do much research beforehand other than discussing my (many) concerns extensively with the module coordinator and others on the teaching team, but really I think the only way to learn is on the job. In my opinion it is quite difficult to read up on teaching approaches without having something to reflect on; I went on a short course during reading week (beginning of November) and found that helpful as I'd already taught for a few weeks beforehand. If your university does courses then that would be useful for you as well.