First Year, first sememster

T

Hey,

I am a first year PHD student and i feel that i haven't really done very much. I have revised my proposal three times and finally settled on a structure for my topic.
Which i am really happy with and feel i have taken a big step in my research.

Is this normal or should i have actually written something more substantial.

I have read loads of resources, taken loads of notes.

Some of the other students have written literature reviews 15000 words.

I know that it depends on the student and the topic but Where is everyone else at?

N

Hiya,

I'm a first year and started in September. I'm studying part-time so I'm technically only two months in. So far most of my time has been taken up with reading, reading and more reading. Apart from that, I've been working on how I can organise my time and my notes.

As far as writing goes, I've done a 2k initial lit review so my supervisors could see where I was up to and we could discuss the next steps in our meeting. I don't know if that's 'normal' but it feels pretty healthy for me.

T

Thanks For the reply,

Yeah, reading more reading. I have started a breakdown of the research which inculdes a timetable. Hoping to get at least 5k done by the end of Jan.  I am being told that normally the student changes everything numerous times before submitting in third year.

I normally work at least 4hrs a day, five days a week. This depends on what classes/meetings i have to attend, which i think that's pretty normal.

W

Hi Tigger,
Yep get the feeling of not having done much. Three months in and my lab work is the grand example of things that didn't work!

I still don't know where my PhD will take me (got to get the reaction working first) and I am not too worried that I just have vague ideas of what I'd like to be doing in a years time.Writing up my lit review (for my 3 month review) over Christmas and I am expecting it to be a few thousand words tops.

I know I have worked loads, read lots, learnt a huge amount, and my supervisor seems happy. While I have very little to show for this term (one powerpoint presentation and lots of graphs showing my molecules falling apart) I have lots of ideas for what to do next.

After a term you have worked out your direction and done lots of ground work, I think that is good and should set you up well.

Certainly don't compare yourself too much with others, even in the same field the way people approach their work can vary greatly, some will write pages and pages because that is suited to their learning style.

T

Hello Tigger,

I'm a newbie too, started in Ocober this year :)
I too have yet to do a literature review, the guy who started at the same time as me is doing one 'cus his supervisor asked him to but mine have said nothing about that.
I have been more focused on planning my practical work, I have been mainly working on designing a questionnaire, as well as lots and lots of reading. Soemtimes I just keep following references within papers ("oooh, that looks interesting...") over and over until i end up reading something completely irrelevent!
But anyway... I reckon as long as your supervisors are happy then you should be fine!
I hope you are enjoying the PhD life as much as I am :D
Merry Christmas!

L

I was almost afraid to read the replied, for fear I would suddenly feel behind! :$

As some of the posts below suggest, more practical-based fields tend to start writing later. I am doing an Arts/humanities PhD, so while I have written a significant amount of words, I am still only beginning to determine my methodology. Most of what I've written should still be useful though, it is just a question of how I will eventually structure the material.

I agree with those who say that provided your supervisor seems happy, you probably have no cause for concern. I am very results-oriented (read, impatient!), however, and need to remind myself that it is a marathon and not a sprint.

T

Lughna,

i know exactly how you feel. I am sort of in the middle, mine is Arts based but has a practice element. I have written what seems like thousands of notes on articles, how they relate to my research, have piles of books on my desk with pages marked etc.

But i feel i need to start writing !!!

I think i have worked loads and i do feel that i have came along loads and so much more defined than when i started.

So suppose, I am scared of wasting time. My supervisor seems happy enough.

I am going to use Christmas as boast for my research and for my confidence. Start in Jan with more motivation.

Hopefully 

:-)

T

Hi, I agree with everyone who has said don't compare yourself to others, as long as your supervisors say you are doing ok then that's fine. I also started my phd in October and I have written 6000 words, but others that started with me have written between 2000 and 10000 words. I probably havent read as much as some others but I have done a lot of lab work, so I think it's true that everyone works in their own way and at their own pace.