First year PhD student - alcohol problems

P

I started to drink in the last year of undergraduate university every day. Before for the first two years it was once a week. Then I went to medical school (heavy drinking almost every day and my social anxiety). Have just started a well regarded PhD in medicine/professional qualification (don't want to give out obvious details) and I am in 4 days a week. Every day I am off I get drunk and I can't seem to help it. I am going to fail if I don't stop but I don't seem able to stop by knowing the consequences. I don't know what to do.

T

You need professional help. Postgraduate study is extremely tough on mental health, and I'm sure many people struggle with unhealthy coping mechanisms. You may be able to get free counselling through your university.

I went to see our university counsellor in my final undergrad year, and it was the best thing I could have done for myself, for my loved ones. I really encourage you to not fight this battle alone.

Good luck!

Please seek professional help! Even if it is your GP or through uni, they can give you real advice.