First year PhD

Yeah classic! Do you think it would be, 'drop and give me twenty literature reviews, maggot!!!"

I think a fair few supervisors probably think yes there should be!

Y

Thanks a lot DocInsanity. That was great advice. Sometimes I wonder how I landed up in a phd programme why did I not think of just getting on with it. Thanks

D

Well if you can't summon motivation for your own PHD, maybe you shouldn't be doing one? If you're looking for magic answers, you're out of luck.
Otherwise:
1) find a friend in neuroscience who can sneak you into the lab for some transcranial direct current stimulation of your brain
2) find a friend who can source some neuroenhancement drugs eg modafinil
3) find a friend who can write the literature review for you and can be trusted to keep shtum
4) find an online cheating service that will write the literature review for you
5) bribe key people at the university
6) summon a spirit guide and do 96 hours of automatic writing
7) get a job at McDonalds instead

D

Oh yes! Option 8 ;)
Getting onto the more nefarious options
9) Burglary to plant blackmail material in supervisor's/vice-chancellor's office
10) Burglary to plant horse's head on supervisor's/vice-chacellor's pillow
11) Send the boys round to make supervisor an "offer he can't refuse"
12) Arrange a convenient fire in which your literature review is destroyed

Y

Hi DocInsanity, I am not too sure what warranted such a reply from you. I just said thanks for putting it out in black and white that I should get on with it. I was pretty messed up with a multiple thoughts and maybe just needed someone to say get on with it. Thats all. I was not looking for magic answers at all. i was simply using this as a platform to write my thoughts and link up with people. You came along and very simply told me to get on and it made sense, sometimes we miss the simplest of things. However all that you posted thats not very nice at all what do you exactly mean by all that. Especially about getting a job at mcdonalds, thats extremely insulting to those who work there.

D

Yanivo, I didn't mean to upset you - all evidence of my left field sense of humour!
Lots of people find it hard to get started, and so the only thing to do is just grit your teeth and get started no matter how you feel. I find often once I get started, I quite enjoy getting the thing written (not always!). Even if you have to discard most or all if what you write, at least you've gotten started.