Fishing for sympathy

I've done a few co-authored pieces. My first big one, i.e I was the one who wrote it all and did all the physical research, I am currently working on. My sup keeps changing mind on whether I should write for publication or thesis so I tend to start, then stop then start thesis writing, then stop then start publication again etc. etc.

I think my writing style has definately improved by resubmitting and working on other papers though so guess I will wait and see

P

Wowwww!! Already "a few!!" and you are just in your second year!!! that means you must have sent them in like what at the start of your 1st yr???? Thats AMAZING!

No not that impressive! I do consultancy work as well which gets publications so I get a name on it cos I do all the admin etc. lol

======= Date Modified 13 Dec 2008 23:35:30 =======
stupid double posting!

H

My publication route has been a bit like Sneaks' - although I don't know if you could call it "strategic"! My first three publications were a) co-authored with me as 1st author; b) co-authored with me as 2nd author and c) co-authored with me as 4th author. The one that was rejected was my first solo expedition which made it all the more painful! I also didn't have a choice as to the journal because it was going to be a special issue compiled from papers given at a particular conference.

I agree with Sneaks though - send stuff to the highest ranking journals possible, because you never know, it might get accepted. And if not you do get feedback (however harsh!).

Alicepalace - thanks for sharing your story and how wierd that they got in touch again out of the blue! Congratulations on getting published. I think I'll avoid telling my supervisor although he's friends with the person who was putting together the special issue so he might find out that way. I'll be practicing my breezy act in the meantime!