focus group issues

T

Rick- I have never used one method i.e. individual interviews. Perhaps it depends on the topic and the kind of data you are gathering. i think like Shani says you can revisit individuals to clarify though i still think the combination produces great results.

D

I agree with really evaluating the reasons behind the use of focus groups, but it also needs to be weighed out with practicality of getting the project done; in my case I wanted the focus groups to help inform development of the interview guide - especially emerging themes or themes I ask about which repeatedly may not resonate. I originally considered doing the flip, first interviews, then focus groups to clarify emergent themes. The interaction can be great to bring out issues that a person alone may not consider; I still may attempt a few focus groups toward the end if I feel some issues need clarification. I also am thinking I may reach saturation faster than anticipated with interviews, based on the ones I've done already. In the end, for me going to interviews is a means to an end, and still a valid method, with triangulation possible by quant methods; when I have staff and funding, then I will perhaps go back to my original design; but for now time is of the essence.

R

Hi Tsipat, Shani,

I think you are both right, the methods can enhance and going back to interviewees is a good idea to get more information. Maybe I should combine the focus group and the individual interview. One to one is certainly easier to organise.

Just out interest: Shani can I ask which brand / type of voice recorder you bought? I am using a video camera with a remote microphone for my focus groups. Is OK but sound sometimes difficult to understand. On the other hand the video makes it easy to see who is talking.

R

Hi doc2008,

do you intend to publish your results? If yes what is your experience regarding acceptance of journals regarding various methods? I am in the medical field and I think one sees both indivual interviews and focus groups in the medical journals. I do not know whether editors have a preference for one of the other (I do know usually they like randomised controlled trials!)How is that in your field?

D

Hi Rick- I am definitely planning on publishing. I'm in the medical field as well, and thus far what I've been published for as coPI have been all quantitative methods. However doing lit reviews I have come across plenty of qualitative and mixed methods that have been published, more in medical journal, often in the social science medicine journals; I'm crossing over from straight biological sciences to med anthropology. I think editors have come around in the medical arena to accept qual methods; one cancer control(my area) researcher who comes to mind right away who has plenty of funding and articles with qualitative and mixed methods in top medical journals is Debrah Erwin who has authored or co-authored more than 30 journal articles and book chapters, and is a reviewer at Lancet; much of her work such as Witness project is based on qualitative methods.

S

hey rick,
i got a Zoom H2. not the cheapest solution available but i think it should be good enough for focus groups. it has 4 built-in microphones and you can adjust the settings so as that it records best in pre-set directions. it also comes with a tripod, allowing you to stand it upright in the middle of a table.
it was the review at http://www.audiotranskription.de/english/ that convinced me.

R

Hi doc2008,

that sounds convincing, especially the element of the Lancet. Wouldn't it be great to be able to publish something in journal like that!
It seems that the mixed route which you have chosen is the right one.
I will try a little longer organising focus groups, yet may start to "mix" as well if proves to be problematic.

I think the sharing of experiences, especially around qualitiative research and to a certain extent around paradigms, is really useful!

R

Hi Shani,

thanks for your post regarding the recorder, I will have a look at that.

As mentioned in my previous posting to doc2008, I am considering to shift to a mix of focus groups and individual interviews in the future, if not succesful in organising more focus groups.

How is your research going?

S

rick, well i finally started with some fieldwork. so far it has been one huge disaster. but i'm not too stressed as i consider it just normal beginning difficulties - i learn, and get better at it

S

what happened:
- the recorder which i ordered with "guaranteed next day delivery" didn't arrive until 5 days later, when i already was in a different country.
- picking up a borrowed recorder 2 hours before my first interview, i got a really bad migraine. meaning i couldn't read the instructions (i physically can't read when i'm getting a migraine), hardly found my way to the agreed place, and couldn't concentrate on the interview.
- for the second interview, i had to get a different recorder (as the first one was being used). it was the same model, but something was wrong with the settings. as the interview was in a café with street noise and piano music starting in the middle, and the recording quality was "low", i can hardly understand a word of the recording.
- when the second interview was finished, and i turned off the recorder - THEN the interviewee started saying all the interesting stuff. sigh...

T

Hi Shani
Couldn’t help but write you my sympathies after reading your post. What an experience- but hey you can do it. I would suggest that you insist on quieter places. When I was doing my MRES I did one interview in a cafe which the respondent deemed "very nice and quiet". I lived to regret it cause when it came to listening to the tape it was just terrible i.e. they were loads of people talking in the back ground, cars hooting, phones ringing, cutlery noise what not....I learnt the hard way cause I could not redo the interview as responded was going off on a mission to another country. Hope u can sort out another recorder and like u said it was after you had switched off the recorder that all the interesting stuff came up- always be ready to switch it on again. I have had to consciously remind myself several times that folks can fork out good stuff when you think you are done with them.... Wishing you well on the next one & let us know how you get on.

D

I have used meeting rooms in the public library several times for focus groups and interviews and it works beautifully, no background noise at all, and no issues with having to bring snacks or buy lunch.

R

Just managed to arrange another focus group,

or actually my supervisor set it up. Will take place in September, I am very pleased with that because at least something is happening!