For those working full time

M

Hi there

I`ve just started my PhD part time whilst working in a full time job (mad i know). I`m thinking whether i should tell my current employer or not? I am very happy in my job and don`t wish to leave anytime in the future. I`m just wondering what others have done? Thanks:-)

R

Is your PhD related to your job at all? Is it likely to help you with career development with the same employer? If it is, then maybe they'd be interested to know if it's going to help you do your job better - you'd look ultra-keen! If it's not related to your job, there doesn't seem much point in telling them really. They might think doing the PhD will have a negative effect on your job, maybe with you wanting time off for things in the future. How supportive are they generally to staff pursuing educational qualifications in their own time?

I started my PhD part time while also working full time. Both my job and PhD were totally unrelated in subject area, but within the same institution, so everyone knew what I was doing anyway. I reduced my working days by half after about a year to concentrate on my PhD and move into a different area within the same organisation, to do teaching, research etc. It's worked out well so far, as I've had the support of various senior staff all the way along to enable me to do this, so I think I've been quite lucky. I've probably had a bit more flexibility for taking annual leave at odd times as they know what I'm taking it for (usually Phd stuff!).

It really depends on your situation and what your plans are in the longer term with regard to your career. Still, PhDs take so long that you'll have ages to mull it over!:-)