Forcing yourself to keep going when writing

T

Hi folks,

I was interested if anyone who has been or is currently going through the process of writing up their thesis can provide some advice.

I'm currently working my way through the first of three planned chapters providing analysis of different aspects of my research.

What is giving me sleepless nights at the moment, and is really killing me when I'm writing is not knowing whether any of what I'm writing is making any sense or if I'm on completely the wrong track. I'm a very isolated PhD student and also find it very hard to give a piece of work to someone to look at unless I'm happy with it. I have no problem with criticism and find all feedback hugely beneficial but at the same time think I need to hit a minimum standard before I give something to my supervisor. I'm not prepared to waste their or anyone elses time with guff.

This strategy has always worked for me in the past but as I feel the pressure of deadlines approaching, the not knowing if I'm on the right track is just becoming more and more painful. Where do you get inspiration from to just keep going until you are happy to share your work with someone?

D

Hi PhDer,

just keep writing everything as clearly you can.

Self-doubt is haunting my nights too, I feel like my PhD is the sloppy work of a toddler attending early years in a nursery school.

Good luck. Just keep swimming.