Formatting query - splitting tables over 2 pages

M

I'm writing a 100+ page document, which contains 12 tables. Some of the tables are currently spilt over two pages - is it preferable to avoid splitting tables over 2 pages (and thus, have instead occasional empty half pages)? I don't know which is the lesser of 2 evils. Any advice? Thanks in advance! :$

D

I have had this same issue! I put my tables either on the same page if small enough or on the next page if larger. Rather than having a 1/2 page gap from the text to the table, I moved the later paragraph to before the table so that the text is neatly arranged. If you look at books often the text just follows on and the table may be found on the next page. If your tables are longer than a page then it may need to be split over two pages. The header should be present at the top of the table on both pages. Personally I preferred not to split my tables across two pages but you should check with you sup on the standard expected at your uni.

A

I would agree with Dunni. I would only spilt a table if the table itself was longer than a page. However I also think large blank spaces look odd. I manually move paragraphs to fill the blank spaces so that any tables I have fit in. It could be that you also re-position the table as well as once you refer to it in the text I think it's fine (and preferable to being spilt or leaving half a page blank) for it to be in close proximity to the relevant text but not necessarily exactly where you want it. Another option is to put in a page or section break and change the orientation of your page from portrait to landscape - your table might fit better this way round. That can get tricky though.

M

Thank you for your tips!:-)