From Masters to PhD....

L

Hi everyone,
If anyone has finished an M.A and gone on to PhD, could they share any wisdom? I'm currently writing up M.A and would love any advice on taking this dissertation to a distinction...it would be great to hear any thoughts from those who have accomplished this -
L.Dot

P

Hi Lucky Dot, I think you'll find that most people on this forum have done an MA and then gone on to PhD and the majority will probably have distinctions. Do you have a more specific question about doing a PhD?

G

Its the wrong Forum (as previously stated) AND there are plenty of good self-help books around for doing Masters projects. Do a trawl of Amazon UK.

J

work hard?! Good luck with it!

L

I think this is the right forum to ask current PhD students a question - no? There are plenty of other threads if you do not wish to read this one :)

Really I just wanted a little feedback on pulling a Masters up to a distinction (as I understand 70+). I received a First Honours, and now need to get a distinction to help with the possibility of funding next year.
Thanks anyway guys
L.Dot

P

If you have to ask how to improve your work to get a distinction, then I'd suggest that you probably won't get one!

P

Sorry, that was a bit facetious. Your supervisor is the best person to help you with this as they know your work.

J

Maybe we are being a bit harsh to you Luckydot. You are asking for advice and we are brushing you off a bit brusquely. However, you must think about the question you are asking. There is no 'formula' to getting a distinction in any work. Your Masters diss is a very personal and relative piece of work and so there is no way we could advise you on how to improve it (if it needs improving) without reading it personally. I would say go to your Supervisor and follow their feedback. Also, do you ot have a marksheet that explains to you what you need to achieve to get a distinction? like analysis, critique, good refs etc? Can't you depend on how you have been doing so far?

Also, this is a PhD forum - to ask advice on your MA you ought to be on the Masters forum... They are going through it with you and perhaps can share their experiences in a more useful way?

All the best

Jayney

G

In all seriousness, I thought I gave sound advice. I bought a couple of Masters Project self-help books at the time and found them very helpful. I don't really subscribe to the 'quick fix' school of advice, if thats what you were looking for.

H

yes, golfpro, you gave sound advice. Lucky dot, go to a reputable bookshop and read up on everything you want to know about doing a PhD. It is definitely not an extension of your Master's programme. Far from it. It'll be your hardest challenge in life. The PhD will always be there but your youth will be sucked out of you by the PhD process ( a little dramatic with a dash of truth) Good luck and keep us posted.

L

Thanks for your feedback everyone.
We'll just leave it there, I think!
Good luck with everything - Lucky