From the pan into the fire

H

Just completed a long email detailing why I want to change supervisor for the second time! I've got an awful feeling that the PGRT and the faculty will drag their feet again. And that the supervisor wants to hang on to the thesis! I know I am the common denominator but the problem is really the leading supervisor (honest) who wants to change the focus of the thesis. The other supervisor thinks she's nuts but don't have the balls to say it! I spoke to Research Ethics Committee and was told that it is a criminal offence to change the focus unless I reapply for approval. This a just a never ending story! I'm just 2 chapters away from submission! Argggggghhhhhhhhh!

T

criminal offence? really?

G

Breech of Contract I suppose (certainty not criminal).

H

I becomes a criminal offence because your stipulated research target (as stated on your Ethics form) will have changed. As such any research you are doing that does not follow your Ethics approval to the letter (and if you are found out) will result in prosecution of your HTA contact and a hefty fine.
I love lawyers!

G

Criminal Law? Can you provide an example when the CPS have prosecuted?

H

I can't be bothered to trawl the archives for an example but check out the minutes of the July, 2007 HTA meeting: criminal prosecution policy (paper: HTA(26/07)
It's scintilating reading...