Frustration about PhD offer

D

Hi, came across this place and I was wondering if I could pick everyone's brains about my current situation.

I'm just finishing off an MSc in Particle Physics, and I'm thinking about applying for a PhD place next year. I have a 2:1 MPhys in Theoretical Physics already, and I figured doing an MSc would help me out in quite a competitive area. I went in hoping for a distinction, but thanks to the fact that I chose a house with a very unpleasant resident landlady I had to move into student halls halfway through my MSc. The results were not quite as I hoped - I got some decent marks in some modules, but not so good in one or two others. This was mainly due to the situation with my landlady as I found that as soon as I was out of her place I was at least able to concentrate more and not get so stressed, but after I'd left the damage was largely done - I'm now on course for a pass, or a merit if I'm really lucky.

However, I was partially successful in getting a PhD place - I applied for a PhD in mathematical physics at Newcastle University, and got made an offer conditional on finishing my MSc but it turns out that it's not a funded position, so I can't do it. I'm quite gutted about this situation really - I almost get where I wanted to be, but then financial concerns go and scupper my ambitions. This, combined with my pass MSc, is making me think about a lot of things as well.

I'm wondering if I'll be able to get a funded position for a PhD next year with a 2:1 and a pass MSc? I put quite a lot of effort into getting the funding together for my MSc, but it just seems like things haven't come out properly. I'm passionate about physics and I really want to continue, but it just seems that every time I appear to be on the brink of finally getting what I want to do, another barrier is just thrown up at me.

I'm thinking about trying to get a job and just thinking about my position right now. I am very passionate about physics, but on the other hand right now I feel that the odds of me getting a funded place are stacked against me, and to sit on the dole pining after after getting a PhD might be a lot more damaging long-term than just getting a job and earning money. I worked in between my MPhys and MSc, and it wasn't that bad.

Is it possible to do this thing while sort of taking a break between each stage of it? I wish that I could have done it all just in one go, but it seems that things aren't working out that way...

G

======= Date Modified 22 Jul 2011 00:50:25 =======
======= Date Modified 22 Jul 2011 00:49:59 =======
Why dont you try applying for a PhD in nuclear physics, its not that far away from particle physics, and not as many students want to do it, so I imagine not as hard to get a funded place. But remember a PhD does not mean it is easier to get a job at the end of it, thats my experience anyway.

Just a thought anyway.

Good luck

Hi Diogenes

Competition for funding is always high, but it should not be impossible to get yourself a place. You can view current Particle Physics PhD studentships and Nuclear Physics PhDs on FindAPhD.

These days more and more PhD funding is being targeted at interdisciplinary doctoral training programmes. New PhD opportunities are advertised throughout the year, so do keep looking.

Good luck.

S

How about applying for a PhD and applying for a job at the same time? If you get the PhD offer take it. If you get a job offer then take it. If you get a PhD offer after you've started your job then simply quit the job. Most jobs have a review type system early on where it's easy for them to get rid of you if they want, but it works the other way too in that you can very easily just leave. This way you won't be stuck unemployed but you also have an equal chance of getting the PhD as if you were in the dole.