Full-time PhD vs Part-time PhD

J

Hello

I was hoping that someone could help.

I will be starting a PhD in law in September this year and would like to know if I can work for 2-3 days per week while undertaking the course full-time. I would like to know if anyone has managed to do this and if so how they are coping.

Also, if anyone is doing a part-time PhD please can you let me know how you manage the workload and what to expect in the first year.

Any replies will help me decide on whether to enrol on a full-time or part-time basis.

Thanks

F

Hi Jj2010,
I have studied both full time and part time - and tried to fit work in both ways. You will have to check with your university, but a full time student at my uni must be doing their PhD 4 days a week, and is only allowed to work 2 days a week (so work on a weekend day), whereas a part time PhD only has to commit 2 days a week to their study.
I much prefer full time study, especially at the beginning of your candidature, as it means that my mind is fully on the task, and when I was part time I really just tried to fit more into my days.
The other thing is that you can always change if things in your life change.
Best of luck, FM

P

Hi Jj,

Im a full-timer PhD and I work around 12 hours a week (1.5 week days). I'm in my first year, and have found this to work well so far. If you can find a job which is flexible. i.e work a bit more/less depending on PhD work load/stage of project then that's helpful.

Id say 3 days a week might be pushing it. However, if you did a total of 4 days PhD, 3 days paid work- I reckon you'd be fine, but wouldn't leave much time for much else, which is key to a healthy mind!

Phdee

J

Thank you so much Fm and Phdee for the valuable insight.

I am very lucky in that I have a flexible job which allows me to choose my hours and my boss is very supportive of the PhD. When I asked one of the academics in my faculty about the number of hours expected he said that it was up to each individual. At the moment the uni is not very forthcoming about the timetable and what demands will be placed on me in my 1st year. I know that at the end of the 1st year there is a mini viva and a thesis has to be submitted to progress from MPhil to PhD but it would be nice to know if I am expected to teach or publish papers. Any info would be helpful!!!

I think that I have decided to do the first year full time and then if necessary have the part time option as a backup plan.

I have to say that I am very excited about starting the degree and relieved that I have found this website for advice.

Jj

Thanks again guys!

T

======= Date Modified 13 Aug 2010 16:27:53 =======
I am studying for my PhD via the part-time route whilst also working full-time (4 days per week with one study day allowance) I started last September and I am finding it heavy going to be honest, I work on my PhD for one full day, but usually do an hour or so in the evening reading papers etc which is working well for me, whilst giving me the weekends for other things which is important for you sanity, you have to be careful that you don't start resenting your PhD because your working seven days a week.

If you considering the full-time option, would this come with a stipend or Graduate Teaching Post attached? 

I know at my university the majority of the full-time students are studying with the aid of a stipend, however, this is very restrictive in terms of addition work etc. They are paid about £10k I also think this is tax free but I am not certain.  In addition their tuition fees are also paid. The downside is that they are expected to teach for 6hrs per week (excluding prep time etc) so I would say allow two days per week for the teaching obligation.

A difficult choice really, have you discussed the prospects with your potential supervisor?  I did and my supervisor also studied part-time so fully understood the complications of Part-time study and gave me some excellent advice which I found invaluable .

Good Luck with it.

S

======= Date Modified 13 Aug 2010 17:24:31 =======
All depts and all universities are different - in my uni some depts allow first years to teach, mine doesn't. Teaching at the uni isn't obligatory and isn't linked in any way to funding - its simply a 'job' that you can apply for. You'd need to speak to your prospective dept to find out their rules and regs in this. As for timetables - well, with PhD its not anywhere near as structured as with a taught course - again it differs, from what I can gather those who need to use labs have more of their hours determined for them, whereas on other types of PhDs its a case of work when you want, just make sure you work enough to get it done. The first year is always a bit strange - quite disjointed and confusing as you get yourself into a working pattern that's ideal for you and you won't find anywhere near the guidance that you've had before regarding hours/workload etc.

I study f/t and also work p/t 10 hours a week - that's the maximum I'm allowed to do with my scholarship - again different sups view things differently if you aren't funded - mine frowns on full timers working any more than 10 hours funded or not, others allow it... I'd say 2 days you could possibly manage, 3 days would be pushing it - you just wouldn't have any time to yourself and may well burn out fast. Don't underestimate the hours you'll need to put in at times - mine vary, some days (especially approaching submission dates for my board papers) I'll work 10-18 hours a day, 7 days a week, at other times I'll work only a few times a week (I'm very deadline driven - massive failing on my part). Either way you'll need to effectively put in 4-5 days a week study to get through this in time. Gone are the good old days (or bad old days depending on your viewpoint) where there were limitless extensions and friends of mine took 7 years f/t to complete! Now its normally 3 years minimum to submission with the option of the 4th, completion year, I have an end date that I have to meet unless something serious goes on but extensions are a nightmare to obtain as the unis are so strictly monitored on it now and want all their full timers to be done on time. Having said that doing it p/t you're looking at spending the next 6 years on this - that to me would be a nightmare - no end in sight - but then you can work that around other committments - i just wouldn't want to have it hanging over me that long and want to get out there and do something sooner rather than later :-)

J

Thanks Stressed and Tester your comments have been very helpful.

I have spoken to the admissions tutor in my faculty as my sup is not around at the moment and I was strongly advised to study full time and that I could work as well provided that I manage my time correctly. I now feel that if I study part time the faculty staff may not be impressed and I don't want to start on a bad footing!

There has been no mention of teaching yet so it may be that I am not expected to teach in the first year. I guess I will have to see how it goes and try to balance everything as well as I can!

I appreciate all your comments!!:-)