Funded Projects in UK

M

Hi

I wish to do PhD in Bioinformatics/ Molecular Biology in UK..I had applied in various universities for 2009 intake.. manchester, essex, sussex.. but i got the same reply from all.. is TER IS NO FUNDING PROJECTS AVL WITH US NOW.. If am ready for self funding tey can proceed my apln..

Any oter outside scholarship avl for me (am from INDIA).. pls discuss on ths.. I need of scholarship/ stipended projects oly.. let me know how can I proceed further.. :-(

Thanks

A

Hi there Mythu,
Im almost certain that international students have to be self-sponsored, perhaps you can find either a phd or a sponsor in India?
India is rapidly growing in the bioinformatics field so perhaps there will be some opportunities for you.
Hope you make some progress.

Augustie

ps i dont think this forum is meant to find you a phd, thats what the database search section is for. But good luck in your pursuit anyways!

T

I'm not in exactly the same situation, as i'm european. but i've made a similar experience. i've been applying for phd positions in february, only to be told that there was no funding available and that i was too late for it. since i only got the idea of going to the uk for my phd at the end of january/beginning of february, i had no idea how the system in the uk works. i leartn from these negative replies though: funding for phds is decided very very early on in the year. the deadlines for scholarships/studentships are in january (at least the ones that i checked out), and the procedure for applications actually can start as early as october the year before the start of the phd!! one year ahead of time!!
i think you have two options: either you wait for a year and apply for a phd starting in october 2010, or you can find a phd position that is fully funded already, and where you don't have to apply for funding yourself :)

P

It might be worthwhile checking whether the universities (the ones you applied to) themselves offer scholarships. Sometimes there are a few (!) scholarships available for students from the Commonwealth, or more generally for international students. The lecturers/professors might not know about these necessarily, so check the universities websites, contact the international students office, alumni office etc. Sometimes this kind of information is not easy to find, so don't give up too quickly. Also, there might be other opportunities, e.g. British Council or maybe companies relavant to your studies provide some money.
As the previous posters pointed out - sometimes deadlines for these scholarship/funding applications are very early on, but that is not always the case. And yes, use the search (findaphd.com) and it is often clear whether there is funding associated with a project, and who is eligible for the funding. Good luck.