Funding delayed by two weeks

P

======= Date Modified 05 35 2009 12:35:58 =======
I'm so annoyed and poor! I've just been told by student services that my AHRC funding won't go into my account till the end of next week because of some new system they are using but also because I have only just registered (I was a January starter). I registered as soon as I could as my details weren't updated on the system until the end of last week. But now it seems I still have to wait for my money, which is causing serious financial problems. January starters are penalised, and PhD students who actually are working from the beginning of January rather than undergraduates who start when the semester starts seem to lose out as well.
My funding was supposed to go in on January 1 but only if I had registered, which I was not physically able to do until Jan 3. I'm up that creek without a paddle!

A

Sorry to hear that!

Go and talk to Student Support. I crashed my car (nice huh?) while I was waiting (approximately 2 months) for my records to be updated so I could receive my studentship. I was given a loan of £500 to get me through. All Universities have such funds and hardly any of them manage to give out these funds to students in need every year.

If this is not an option then could you ask for a temporary overdraft extension??? Not ideal but at least you'll be able to eat.

A

P

Thanks A116, I have been trying to sort something out. Student Services told me they could not help but after contacting the research officer for my school and being directed to an AHRC liaison person, she is now dealing directly with the head of student services, who surprise surprise do have a way of helping me out and hopefully I should get my money tomorrow or Wednesday. I get so annoyed with people who just don't know stuff, or can't be bothered to do their job properly not realising that their actions affect people's lives.

H

I hate to say it, but you may as well get used to it. It probably won't be the last time you get a late payment - such is the PhD student's lot. :-(