funding for Phd living expenses

N

hi
I am an international student who is on a fees-only phd scholarship in a UK university. I am struggling with my living expenses as it has become extremely difficult to find a part-time job. does anyone know of any organisations(s) that i can apply to support my living expenses/conference expenses. i am in my first year though

your suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Ta

B

Hi Nagumse,

You are not alone! Same situation here but that isn't stopping me from working and moving the stuff on....the going is tough but we just need to get tougher! ?....(up). Have you tried to apply for the Overseas studentship (coverts EU/Home - International difference). I tried the first year and didn't get it and have tried again this year to see if I will get it...whatever the outcome, I've vowed life has to move on and I have to finish the degree and possibly with a number of publications under my arm! (up)

N

thanks for your words of encouragement.

======= Date Modified 09 Apr 2010 02:48:18 =======
most typical hardship funds don't cover overseas (I am assuming you are overseas student, not sure same as international), but some universities have separate funds available for overseas students. Have you tried booking a one-to-one appointment with a consultant from your student finance department? There might also be some discretionary award system at your uni, or local authority. Sorry that I am not giving specific help, but these are usually good starting points. (also now that it's the last term of the academic year, there might be some money left in Access to Learning Fund, that they might agree to allocate some to you if you can make a good case).

M

Hi Guys,

Were anyone of you able to sort out the problem! I have the same situation and not sure what to do! I am from Belgium and contacted the Belgian Embassy in London. They said in order to get funded I suppose to be studying in here for at least 3 years.

Please let me know if you were able to sort it out. Cheers

J

I think they are confusing funding for undergrad where you would be eligible for student loans for living expenses (and which takes usually 3 years) and postgrad where there is no eligibility for funding or living expenses. Most people who are not on a studentship have to work while they are studying - people do a variety of jobs and many of us are doing our job full time and the PhD around that. I know the economy is tough at the moment but there are still jobs around - esp temp / part time jobs. Does your uni have a student job shop? Often they have jobs working in the unversity (eg in the library / on a heldesk) - no usually very well paid but very convenient and fexible.