Funding in the second year of PhD

T

Hello,

I hope someone might help me with my dilemma. I have been offered places from universities in the UK (Cambridge, Edinburgh, UCL and Glasgow) but unfortunately, I have failed to secure funding thus far. There is still CHESS nomination at Cambridge, but given that I screwed my application (I think...), I don't suppose I will receive it. Also, I was nominated for ESRC in Scotland but, despite being told I have a very strong proposal, I am unsure. Both are fees-only (I live in Eastern Europe).

My problem is that I had unconvincing grades during my undergraduate studies (nobody actually cares much about them here) - but excellent final grades. Then, during my MA, I basically did not receive a grade worse than A(100%). However, this did not stand out in my applications that I submitted only with results of my first year of a two-year MA. Count in also the lack of proficiency in writing personal statements (never had to do it here), etc. I have also some research assisstantships: at my home university, my country's Academy of Science and independent research institute. During the summer, I will speak at major Sociology conference, a paper where I am co-author (50%) is now being published in and edited volume in Germany and I plan on publishing more in the upcoming months.

To do Ph.D. in UK is my ultimate goal and I can survive on my family endowment for the first year (at least). My question is: how common is it to receive funding in the course of Ph.D.?

D

Why does it have to be the UK? You could just apply all over Europe. There are tons of universities that are just as good as Edinburgh, UCL or Glasgow and you would be actually paid for your work. I would not recommend to start a PhD without a proper funding (fees AND salary). Nobody can tell you if you will ever receive funding after you started your PhD. I know that it is hard to get funding in humanities, but that's just another reason to be not too picky on the location. Maybe you can get funding in Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Sweden or some other country. Good luck