Funds low but how much grief do you take from part-time employers?

B

Hey all,
Just giving a rant (I have been told I do a good one :-s ).

Basically my stipend has finished and now reliant on part-time work (mostly teaching). I don't get paid any prep work at all and have only recently started teaching two courses (one, an intensive advanced Excel, the other on an application just being rolled out). I have been teaching for ten years and have been thrown in at the deep end several times (a few hours notice or no material from previous teachers).
Now, in the space of two weeks, I have been complained to twice. I have rock solid defences but might have to burn a few people in order to use them (contradicting instructions from previous teachers and basically was a bit nervous as was teaching the stuff for first time). But was just wondering, how much s!it do we have to put up with in order to keep the money flowing and more importantly, does the morals take a distant second in all this? I mean, we all have enough to deal with already!!!

Really pi$$e$ me off as it is basically public sector full time staff who will NEVER lose their jobs complaining about me ... really having trouble biting the tongue on this and not reaching across for the tin opener and a can of Whoop-a$$! I mean, I am doing this to keep me just above the surface and if any major expense (car repairs etc.,) happens soon, I would last as long as a (snowman) in Hell!

Any opinions, thoughts or similar stories.

hmm, I was having a heated debate recently with someone about school teaching. They were saying that school teachers are worked too hard and I pointed out that uni lecturers have to do the same amount of work, but also have to find time for the research side and all the publications PLUS consultancy/other work because the pay is SOOO bad! Anyway, I think I won?

======= Date Modified 21 Jan 2010 20:11:59 =======
======= Date Modified 21 Jan 2010 20:10:15 =======
I say let 'em burn, so long as they can't burn you afterwards... Is it FE teaching? That is absolutely the worst sector for temp teaching work, at least some places in HE pay properly. I found supply teaching at schools lucrative - 120 quid for the day with no prep or marking (it's usually less if you've no QTS, but they considered me to be an expert in my subject so gave me the full whack), but it's very thin on the ground. I know what you mean about the head above water thing, I'm only just managing it and that situation could last quite I while, I fear.

B

Well I am in a diff. country to most of ye and would have to agree that it is getting tougher for all of us and there is nearly a cut-throat environment between p'grads for work ... and full-time HR staff are using this to get the cheapest options.

Sneaks - have to disagree totally. School teachers, particularly secondary, have to deal with young adults who know their rights and basically abuse these to literally get away with murder. Third level lecturing is a two-tier situation ... those on contracts do work to the bone, but majority of full-timers are lazy and rest on laurels ... ok, a bit of a generalisation, but would have to say lecturers have it FAR easier for the money ... typically start off here at approx. €60-70k

Well my own situation has become a bit clearer. It seems as if I am not even worth a reply to a request for a meeting to explain the situation.

Hi Bonzo,

You do 'do a good rant', though. It's a good skill to have isn't it? Look I work in secondary sector in Oz and I happen to be a full-timer with a leadership position in my institution (just a 'smidgin' below deputy principal status and power). Institution is private not public sector.

I think though I get where you are coming from and the real unfairness of it all. I often have to mentor teachers in my role and it can be really hard for the newbies, the temps and the contracts. They are dependent on the money (those of us who always get a regular paycheck can take it for granted) and quite frankly, don't have the time, the insider knowledge, or always the interest in playing the institutional politics-like you often they have other big things going on in their lives and just want to get on with the job and earn some honest moolah.

My institution can be a hard one to 'cut it', unless you fit. When I first arrived, I wasn't an instant fit but they wanted the academic energy that came with me so over many years of issues, etc-finally we have a good working relationship-still has its passionate moments though at times! However, what I wanted to say was you need to look after yourself and your own interests in this. The institution will follow institutional rules and norms. There will be little power blocs and 'biatchy' ingroups and just a bunch of teachers who work hard and don't want to either get involved or cause too many waves. Plus a group of people at the top who are busy and don't have time to really deal with small issues like this because they are coping with parents, the student from hell, students who are really seriously in trouble and whom they are worried about, the usual substance abuse, theft, social work issues, etc and really difficult full time staff, whom they want to keep on an even keel. Small issues like this (it isn't small for you, I know) they hope will resolve themselves and go away.

However, in looking after your own interests, don't 'burn your bridges' or too many of the people there. Save your genuine indignation and wrath for those outside the institution who know and love you, or for rants on the forum and just play it straight with the powers that be who employ you at this instititution. If you get the chance, next time there's a complaint, take it on the chin, explain your side as calmly as you can and make out like you will address the issue anyway (even though it isn't necessarily your fault). Even if you find another gig, you always might want a reference from them anyway and to be honest, right now you need the money right? You are not doing this for them-you are doing it for money for your Phd right? The other thing is, is there anyone sympathetic in the institution, with some power and influence, whom you can talk to and who will go in to bat for you if needs be. Usually there is such a person or persons...find them out and have a chat. Even if they don't know you very well, they will be flattered that you have noticed them and will keep you in mind if they believe that your situation is unfair, and are chatting with the senior leadership in meetings or whatever.

You probably do have the moral highground, but just keep it to yourself at present- pull your horns in, think of the goal at the end and ensure finally that your interests are being met. Don't fret too much about what the others think or the unfairness of it all- it is unfair but basically life pretty much is. You have to sort out your priorities and take your action steps from there.

Sorry about the 'essay'-I try to keep it short, but with these sorts of issues there are usually many permutations-hence overly long replies. Cheers Bonzo;-)

B

Thanks pjlu
I did exactly what you said y'day ... if I did complain, I wouldn't be burning bridges - I'd be nuking them! So, after a sleep and as you say, a realisation that there are more important things, am more calm and gonna work out something. It was just a body blow to the confidence and cash flow is low. I also took this whole episode as maybe a wake up call that I have been getting complacent as regards my own teaching style, so gonna sort that too.
I will be fine and like cats and Bruce Lee, will land on me feet. Teaching a person who told me that her sister may not live past Monday - that put sharp focus on my little problems.
So, without further ado, I am off to sort out this little pickle!
By the way pjlu - I hope you haven't bumped into any of the lads from home down there ... you thought my original post was a rant - not a patch when the Toxic Twins get a skinful in.
Enjoy the weekend and thanks,
Bonzo