Get a PhD just for the MONEY?

S

I'm a Computer Science PhD student who is about one-and-a-half years into his degree. My ultimate goal has always been to graduate and get a job in industry (not teaching). Through my graduate experience I've come to realize that academic-research does not appeal to me, so I've begun to consider just getting a Master's degree and calling it good.

So now the question becomes, does it make sense for me to stick around and finish the PhD if my primary motivation is simply a hope of a higher salary and better job security down the road? If I'm not excited about research, will the financial benefits of the PhD be worth the few extra years of sucking it up while I finish school? Should I do it just for the money?

I've heard people argue both ways as to whether money alone is a sufficient motivation to complete a PhD. However, I've never found any real statistics or data to support an argument in either direction as to whether the financial benefits alone are worth the few extra years of study. Is anyone aware of where I could find this sort of information? What are your opinions on this matter?

R

Hi
first of all it doesn't matter what your motivation is to finish the PhD - anything to get you through it - my own motivations weren't entirely honourable! Having said that in my discipline a PhD doesn't equal good money - look into whether the PhD will get you more money than a masters. In my experience the PhD isn't always worth much outside academia but computer science may be different. I earn a pittance. Good luck to you, if money is your motivation that's as good a reason as any

G

'but computer science may be different'.

Probably not no.

D

Phd in Computer Science can mean big money in finance. Just take a look at efinancialcareers.co.uk and type in phd + computer science and have a look at some of the entry level jobs. Theyre probably very difficult to get but it gives you some idea what the potential is in the industry if you can apply your Phd knowledge to finance. Not exactly the most interesting field but if money is your motivation...

G

I was told [as a rule] that computing 'headhunters' prefer a top class [under]graduate from a top university as opposed to a PhDer. They may of course be exceptions, but the person who told me ths is pretty clued up on the 'City' scene. Mkae of that what you will.

C

Maybe try contacting some recruiters (the ones who want the PhD), and find people already working in the area.
Also where are the jobs? If in London or high living costs the salary may not mean as much. Would you enjoy the work? What if you changed your mind mid PhD, what are your options?