Getting an additional supervisor but I really don't like him, what to do?

C

So I have only had 1 supervisor so far and my supervisor is thinking of getting some help in the form of another supervisor. There are very few to chose from related to what I am researching.

So my superviosr suggested this guy, let's call him Dr X. Now, Dr X is my current supervisors best friend and most of their conversations involve laughing and bad mouthing others in the department behind their backs. I only had one meeting with both of them and for the half of it they traded their inside jokes like I was completly invisible and for the second half they were showing hand signals to each other and I could sense that they are having a laugh at my expense, while I WAS STILL THERE.

I would feel extremly uncomfortable with adding Dr X as a supervisor due to what I have just described and what will no doubt occur in the future meetings. My only supervisor is fine 1-1 with me, but in a combination with this guy is a complete disaster.

C

(Cont-ed)
What should I do? Should I stand my ground to not wanting to add Dr X as a supervisor? What should I give as reasons to why not? I was thinking of going for the nicer version of the truth. I mean thinking of years of meetings with them where they don't even make me feel human depresses me to no end. I would rather continiue poorely supervised. Please help guys....

S

Difficult one as its easy to offend and sometimes easier just to accept it

You could put forward another candidate for X Y and Z reasons- if you collaborate with anyone outside the uni you could maybe use that?

You should however make sure that you weren't being a bit sensitive to them and their jests that day (obviously I wasn't there and you'll know best)- but if you get on well with your supervisor and like their style, its possible that one day you might get theor jokes too? I personally prefer a supervisor with a sense of humour and openness.

Another thing would be that you could try focus these types of meetings by subtly interrupting with points about your work etc - something like that?
or you could have a frank discussion with your supervisor, one on one and tell them that you felt uncomfortable at the meeting the other day and didn't acheive what you wanted etc etc

S

C

The problem is Sjo that I am naturally sensitive person and I don't want to feel awkward and very uncomfortable around Dr X. The guy was even pointing at me and laughing during my recent talk. Simply put I can't stand him, and given this I don't want to enter into a supervisory realtionship with him. It is not like I can say, we will see how it goes. Once he is signed on and has any input in the project it would be impossible to get him off. So my best bet is not signing him on in the first place.

I am just not sure if I as a student have a right to say who I do and don't want to supervise me?

S

I think you do have the right, there are plenty of folk who will tell you how bad it is having the wrong supervisor group.

Was he really pointing and laughing at you!! that just makes him a jerk and I can't expect anyone respects him for that kind of attitude

It is a tricky situation, you do still have to tread carefully

AT the end of the day I suppose the only thing you can do is follow proper protocol, speak to you supervisor first, if that doesn't work speak to the PhD co-ordinator for the department and if that doesn't work you can speak to the main PhD co-ordinator for the Uni.

S

but you do have to start with your supervisor, just try find the right rational, make yourself sound reasonable in not accepting him, like instead of saying:

'I just don't like him'

try

'based on our previous meeting I didn't find his/her inputs constructive and don't think he will aid my PhD'

Does that make sense? its all in the way you say it.

hope any of this helps

good luck

S

C

Thanks, it does help and it's exactly what I was thinking. Lucky for me his research interests don't really coincide with mine and I will try to go for that angle. I'm not sure how will my supervisor react given that they are friends and he is surely going to be more loyal to him than some student. If supervisor is not accepting of this argument, I will have no choice than to be completly frank about the instances of him laughing at me etc.. and say that working with him would make me very uncomfortable and ultimately us not getting along won't benefit my PhD project. I just hope that my supervisor is reasonable.

S

I think thats probably the best way if they are that bad.

do you have anyone else you can put forward for the role?

good luck

S

C

I do have a couple of people but I'm not sure if they would agree to supervise me. I also don't know how much time I would be expected to spend with my second supervisor.

S

I know some people will see theirs more, but I've seen mine twice in the three years, he hasn't turned up to a single talk and has had no input.

I do know some people see theirs on a more regular basis and take their advice etc.

As far as I was aware their purpose is to check on your progress and also act as someone you can go to for advice if you are having touble with your main supervisor etc.