Getting funding for PhD

W

as an african, i find it difficult to get studentship because most would require eu citizenship. how can we break that barrier so that we can all be on equal footing in acessing studentship

G

No easy answers to that. In fact no answers at all. A great many UK EU students are quite happy with the status quo.

W

i would imagine that having live in the UK for 4yrs but thats not what their leaders are preaching at. i guess if you want to help africans, educate them rather than giving their leaders money which ends up to their own pockets.

the status quo needs to change for a better and inter-dependent world

G

My personal perspective is why is it the job of the EU/UK citizen [as thats what it comes down to] to pay for the education of foreign [non-EU] nationals? There isn't a bottomless pit of money. Would you pay for my education.

W

not a matter of me paying for your tuition fee or you paying for me. this is about governments, universities, research institutes, etc because we all tend to benefit at the end.

secondly africans contribute a lot to their economy in tax payment which should be ploughed back to them as done in the west.

G

Where do you think that money comes from [a money tree]? It comes from the countries tax payer. If there was lots of spare cash I'd say give it to UK undergrads, who are getting into desperate debt problems due to no grants.

Wuyeh, can I go to your country and expect the taxpayer to pay for my education? Be assured, I contribute lots to the local economy.

W

i guess there is free tuition for scotish and could that not be applied. in essence education is an expensive venture but at the end of the day, educated people also pay back to society by rendering services.

this can be looked into in a wider perspective

G

There are studentships available for people in your situation. I would suggest you apply for one of those, or look for ways of self-funding. Ultimately, those are your choices. Good luck with your search.

W

thanks anyway, thats what am looking for because i funded my MSc programme.

If i may seek for useful information from you or anyone in this forum

H

wuyeh you are missing the point really.

You are trying to say to golfpro that less funding should be made available to "home" students and that extra funding should go to non-EU students. I paid taxes when I worked before I went on to do Masters and PhD and I will pay taxes again when I start working again. As a past tax payer and future tax payer, yes it would be nice to know that some of the UK's research money is going towards funding for people outside the UK but I would prefer that the majority would go to UK students (seeing as most of the money comes from companies/people in the UK).

It's not only international students that have problems with funding, "home" and EU students do too but thats just life, we can't always have an easy life.

G

I don't think Wuyeh should really be taking his time railing against the status quo. It isn't likely to change in the immediate future and if it does it [ala a Conservative Govt.], it will be for the worse as far as Wuyeh is concerned. Said party would be better spending their time looking at all suitable opportunities on here and elsewhere.

W

H, i think you are instead missing the point.

My conversation with golfpro was all about funding. my concern is that most stuentships would try to segregate international students and focus on UK-EU members. I'm saying we should be on equal footings in such cases and no differentiation. At the end of the day its for the betterment of mankind.

G

In a IDEAL world. It isn't though. There is a finite pot of monies for education. If more goes to non-EU nationals, others have to have less. As I said to you previously, can I go to your country and expect them to pay for my education.

H

wuyeh, unless you don't understand what I have written, I have stated why most of the funding in the UK goes to UK students (home) or EU students rather than international students like yourself.

No one has a right to funding, it's a privilege. Yes you are unlucky that you haven't found funding yet but so are many other UK/EU students.

C

wuyeh, though i understand what you might be going through, i agree with what H and golfpro have pointed out. I think you are being too unreasonable here to be honest.