getting paid (or not) for teaching work

S

Hi everyone, I'm just on here to grumble. I did a semester of teaching work for a local college and have yet to be paid (since february!). The reason they give is that various bits of paperwork have been lost (both by them and in the post), and without a signed contract they cannot guarantee that I will be paid. I don't know whether this means right now, or whether I will just not get the money. I'm so angry about it. I feel like my work suffered because of how much effort I put in over the last semester and that it was really a waste of my time. I also don't know what to do about teaching for them again. Term starts next week, and while I need to experience I don't want to work for nothing. I also don't really want to kick up too much of a fuss about the money (almost £2000!) as I will need them as a reference when I finish my PhD later this year. Harrumph! :-s

S

What? That is really quite bizarre. How did you get the job in the first place, did you not sign any form of contract? Is there no Head of Dept who employed you who could do something on your behalf?

S

I was employed part way through the term because of staff shortages so my contract was drawn up a few weeks after I began teaching. I think that might be my next step if things don't move quickly.

Z

you know that is it actually illegal for them not to pay you for work done??? This is insane - you seriously cant go and work for them next week while this is all up in the air - you HAVE to kick up a fuss about the money!

M

This issue of not having a contract is a poor excuse for not being paid. You have a verbal contract with them (i.e. you agreed to work and you were told you'd get paid), and you can easily prove the work you have done. My brother had a same sort of problem with a very high profile university - he ultimately had to threaten them with legal action before the HR dept. coughed up about £6k of outstanding money.

Contact your HoD or whoever took you on, and ask them to confirm the work you have already done, and then send a formal letter to HR requesting pay. If you don't have any luck, as Zelda says, you have to kick up a fuss...you can't simply get screwed over like this.

They have to guarentee you get paid! As Zelda says it is illegal in any field of work not to pay someone for work they have done. If things have been lost by them and lost in the post it is their job to sort it out. You could go to a local Citizens Advice Cdentre to get help on how to claim the money you are owed.

However, as you say I would try and do this by working with the college, rather than kicking up a fuss, as you need to get a reference and I would use going mental at them as a last resort.

M

I'd go in and talk it over with them - you presumably have a large group of witnesses (your students) that you did the teaching so they don't have a leg to stand on. They will also need you to do your next term's teaching so be firm with them and I'm quite sure you will see the money. I'm also quite sure that they know that you'd win if you took them to court. Being firm about something like this will make you look assertive and professional rather than somebody who's ok with being conned and not paid, which won't help people's impression of your character for references anyway.

R

I know how you feel, I often feel like I almost have to beg to get paid for the work I do - it's ridiculous!!! I was partially paid, to be fair to them, but was left short about €5000 between last Sept and April this year. I literally had to stomp over to HR every day in April to make sure they put it all through by the end of the month as they wouldn't even reply to my emails... grrr... I did get it all back in May but of course the government has stuck 3 different types of extra tax on in the meantime so a massive chunk of it was gone!!! So annoying... but I recommend that you just keep on the case, they have to pay you! Camp outside someone's office until they cough up!

Hi Siwee, this sort of thing happens so often!!!!! blooming DISGRACEFUL. I think FE is even worse than HE for this sort of thing at he moment. 

Do you have a manager you can look to for support over this?

If you aren't getting support from your manager, then I'd take it up with HR directly. HR won't be giving you a reference - so you can give them some welly and just keep at it. You could also go to your union. Also, if your own manager has any back bone, they'll respect you more if you stand up for this.

Was the contract lost by them? or in the post? They can sort that out as quickly as it takes you to get down there and sign another copy! so you could go and stand in the office while they sort that out.

If proof is an issue I'd use emails - you must have corresponded with various people at the college over your teaching. I wouldn't involve the students just yet.

I wish you luck with this - freelance teaching really is at the pig's ear's end of pay.