Getting Work Experience at a University to prove myself for a PhD?

D

Basically I applied to a PhD in at a German University - I didn't get it but the lecturer called me in to interview me as there are about 20 other similar positions. I was shown round the university and department and I absolutely loved it, but I have doubts that I will get a PhD there as:

- Although I got a 1st in Mech Eng I dont think the German professors realise that that is the highest grade you can get - they just look at the % on your exam results.

- My experience isn't really that good as I just went for any related engineering job that would pay me money during my time at university

Now I'm thinking that was a bad idea and I am thinking about going over again and knocking on a professor's door and asking whether they have any work, either paid or unpaid, I can do over summer to prove myself. Does anyone think this is realistic?

I also sort of dont want to jeopardise my chances of getting one of the PhDs by seeming like an idiot if this is pie in the sky stuff - but I'm 99% sure if I got some experience at their department I would be able to prove myself and get one. What sort of experience should I ask for? Perhaps a small undergrad style project or I dont know? It will be in a Mechatronic department

R

Can anyone help DJChurchill?

H

I have a friend who worked at Cambridge university as a lab technician after her undergrad. While she didn't get a PhD at that university she did then move onto a PhD at another university, and her experience working as a lab tech was seen as a big plus. I think getting a bit of experience at a uni would be a help - anything you are involved in (field work, lab work, data analyis, teaching, etc.) will be something you will probably come across in the course of a PhD.