Good template/example of a speculative job application

M

Hi guys,

Has anyone got a good example (or can point me in the direction of a good template) of a cover letter/email for applying for academic jobs on a speculative basis? (aka the email begging for work).

Thanks!

C

Yes. We'll start the bidding at 10 pounds.

V

Why do so many people expect templates/past examples? I think employers would want someone who can compose an email on their own.

M

======= Date Modified 06 Dec 2009 23:49:44 =======

Quote From verypoor:

Why do so many people expect templates/past examples? I think employers would want someone who can compose an email on their own.

I've somewhat phrased my post wrong (long day). I'm after some ideas of what to write in speculative academic job enquiries (in contrast to specific posts).

Eg. Is there a specific etiquette to follow? Do you keep it short? Write something equivalent to a cover letter for a specific job post? An example would help me ascertain answers to these questions.

I have no intention of copying it word for word (that would be bloody stupid) - but thanks for the patronising comment.

Hi Missspacey,

I've done this a few times for teaching work; in fact, it's how I got all my teachng jobs so far (about 6 of them in total!), and this is based on what I do:

1. Target your skills and knowledge to the post you're looking for and to the department in the email message.
2. Highlight anything outstanding about you which is relevant in the email message.
3. Tailor your CV.
4. Be direct and state straight away what you are looking for - indicate it in the email heading.
5. Send it to a few people: the head of department, anyone who looks after teaching, anyone who you think could be your direct manager. These things can sometimes take a while to get to the right person - I heard after a year of my CV being passed around various people for my current job.

I think that's it, I'm really knackered so there could be something missing... Hope it helps.

Good luck!

C

Eska that was helpful ;-)

I based my cover letter off a sample provided by Fred Winston in the Harvard Bulletin (1998). Should be able to find it on google, although its biology-based.

C

======= Date Modified 07 Dec 2009 00:58:21 =======
Multi-post

M

Quote From cleverclogs:

I based my cover letter off a sample provided by Fred Winston in the Harvard Bulletin (1998). Should be able to find it on google, although its biology-based.

There ya go... and it didn't cost me ten quid.

Although it is biology-based, it provides a nice structure for most disciplines.

M

Thank you Eska. :-)

Your point about finding the right contact person seems to be crucial. I was intending to just approach HoDs, but cc'ing to another senior faculty member may prove fruitful.