Got the offer!!

P

I have just received an offer to start a PhD in October and I'm sooooooo over the moon. I have held back making an account on here because I never thought I would get this far, but I have been raking through the discussion boards for months now getting some great advice. This forum has helped me so much - keep up the good work everyone, it really makes a difference!!

,-) (up)

H

Congratulations!
I start my PhD in October too and found the forum very very helpful!
Hopefully we will both enjoy it! :)

S

Congrats!!...just enjoy your happiness!
I'll start my PhD next october too, so I recognize the feeling!

Well done :-) Good luck!!

N

Well done all of you - I must say I am a bit envious because I'm only starting a MSc in September and really hope to start a PhD the following year. What subject areas are you all doing your PhDs in?

P

======= Date Modified 23 Jul 2009 11:27:34 =======
======= Date Modified 23 Jul 2009 11:25:24 =======
Hi Persistant PhD (great name! :) )

Well done and many congratulations.

I remember that feeling oh so well, ie not believing that I would ever get this far. I nearly fainted and couldn't stop shaking when I heard the news that I won my competitive PhD studentship. I really did not think I would get it!!!

Here I am now, nearly three years on into my PhD and only a few more months to go until I'm into a (hopefully) brief extension year! Even now, I still cannot get my head around the fact that I'm still here. I'm STILL expecting my supervisors to say to me 'sorry we've made a mistake. Your just not good enough for this PhD and we've offered it someone else'. Obviously not going to happen, but I believe imposter syndrome definitely applies to me!

My advice for any newbee PhD student is to enjoy the freedom and summer before September or October starts. I didn't really have the option- I jumped from MSc to PhD with only a couple of weeks off. I didn't go away or anything- and I reallly wish I did! A PhD will grab hold onto you for at least the next three years so make the most of your freedom :) (sorry if that sounds rather depressing!). I hope you enjoy the PhD rollarcoaster of emotions :)

All the best :)

P

I am 9 month sinto my PhD and looking at starting 2nd yr in October. Last October when I was in your shoes, I started this thread which you may find useful now :-)

http://www.postgraduateforum.com/threadViewer.aspx?TID=10400

K

Huge congratulations to you!!!

I started mine last October and, like you, used this forum a lot whilst researching PhD's etc. Remember to keep up the enthusiasm mid way through your PhD :-)