Grades equivalence between UK and Portugal

J

Hello!

I'm 37 years old and considering to study for a PhD in Mechanical Engineering. I have a "Licenciatura" (a Portuguese degree of 5 years, which I think is similar to the UK MEng degree) in Mechanical Engineering.

But first, I need to know if my grades are enough.
What are the equivalence in terms of a percentage scale from 0 to 100% of the British grades:
- First-Class Honours (First or 1st)
- Upper Second-Class Honours (2:1)
- Lower Second-Class Honours (2:2)

Can anyone help me?

Best Regards
JV

J

Thanks for the reply, but I don't see any answer close to my question

I suppose that the UK grades have some close relation to a percentage scale, which corresponds to the percentage of right answers to an exam. Doesn't it?

Best Regards
JV

B

it depends on the university. At my current university:

First-Class Honours (First or 1st) 70%
Upper Second-Class Honours (2:1) 60-69%
Lower Second-Class Honours (2:2) 50-59%

I did study out with the UK for a while, where the grading was quite different. sStudents were expected to get >90% whereas at my current university this is not a reasonable expectation.

Don't look at it in terms of percentages...think what's the top-award at your university, then the second-from-top, etc... and (assuming you're at a reasonable good university) they should be comparative to a first, upper-second, lower-second (as http://www.findaphd.com/students/explain.asp#5 suggests). Why not ask the registration department of the university that you are interested in?

P

I am also a portuguese with a "licenciatura" in Chemical Engineering.
I had a 14 which means 70%. That is enough for the PhD since I am doing one right now. Although, I think that, at least in my University, was the minimum required.
Best of luck

J

Well, since I got a 13(65%) in the University of Coimbra (too much parties there ), one of the best Portuguese Universities in general and in the subject, have more than 10 years of teaching at a Higher Education institution (Polytechnic Institute), and a Master near coming, I suppose I am a good candidate. Nevertheless, I will follow the advice from belfry.

What are your Universities belfry and paulasbrito?

Thank you for your answers. Great help.

Best Regards
JV

A

The link wasn't suppose to directly answer your question, but to provide you with contact details for the people who can answer your question i.e.

"The British Council in your home country will be able to help you. Before you apply you could try asking your former course tutors or alternatively you can visit The National Academic Recognition Information Centre for the United Kingdom. They will give informal advice free of charge. An official 'letter of comparability', which will be accepted by employers, costs £30 (+VAT), but should not be necessary for most universities, who will assess you themselves."

J

Thank you Ann. I'm sure that NARIC and British Council can help me with an informal or formal answer. But, I wanted an answer from someone with experience in the field. Actual and former students.

Best Regards
JV

P

I am in Cranfield University on the health department. And it is great!

Good luck for you! (Não desistas!)