graduate studies in UK for EU member (about money)

H

Hello.Im from Poland, and after i get my bachelor's degree equivalent, iwould like to apply for PhD studies in UK (im not sure how educationsystem works in UK - but if i had it right, i can go right for PhD,without having Master degree).

My concern is - how to get money. I searched for informations over thenetwork, but different sources provide different informations - andthey mostly concern undergraduate students.

Also, i would use help of someone who already passed this process.

I know i need about 15 thousands per year.

Loans, work, stypendies - how much money they can provide? Can i getstudent loan without being UK citizien for specific period of time?
Work - is there huge demand for tutoring in math/physics? Does university provide some kind of work?
stypendies - does everyone gets them?

I'm thinking about Cambridge, but information about any of universities with good reputation would be useful.

I'm physics student.

H

I had some things wrong. Now i have different question - is there way to get money for Master's degree studies?

N

Hi,

I'm another EU country too, did my MA in England and am now doing my PhD in England.

I've got bad news for you though - you cannot get a student loan in the UK. They are not given to postgraduates. Your best bet would be to borrow in Poland, as banks in England will generally not lend money to a newcomer... especially not in the current economic context, and especially not in a place like Cambridge by the way - too many foreign students leave the town after a year with debts of some kind and disappear abroad forever, so it's not even straightforward to open a bank account there.

What I would do if I were you is I would self-fund for the MA and, during the course, whilst in England, look for funded PhD opportunities - it'd be easier to find something if you are actually there, and easier to get funding if you have the MA from an English University. That's what I did, and it worked out fine. Also having the MA was proof of my level of English and really helped me in for the PhD.

There are a few schemes to help with financing the MA, but really you are unlikely to get them - they are scarce, and I think you have to be in the UK a while in advance in order to even apply. You might want to check with the relevant services in your chosen University. In any case there is nothing wrong with, say, e-mailing the student financial / support services of the universities you want to go to, tell them you are a prospective student, and ask them for further details about this.

S

I would like to know if anybody is interested in coming o Portugal to do a PhD in Renewable Energy! The medium of work is English and we have collaborations with many Europeans countries for you to Enjoy.