hair question again

S

Hi everyone
Back to the hair static condition, ! I am still wearing synthetics because that's all I have for winter however now I use more conditioner in my hair and that seems to work! thanks!!!

NExt question is Hair DYE. In your opinion, girls, which one is the best hair colour product? Has anyone tried those natural henna products. Any advice is appreciated.

satchi :-)

M

Not exactly answering your question but I've never coloured my hair (partly because it's very dark making such things tricky) but hairdressers regularly say to me: 'I bet you've never coloured your hair' etc. Apparently they can tell because it's in very good condition and colouring your hair has a bad effect on it. Just a thought - I don't think I'd ever change the colour now!

I used to dye my hair, but to be honest looking back at photos it made me look a bit wierd and meant I had to completely change the type of makeup I wore because it didn't go with the hair. I haven't dyed it now for about 5 years and always get told its in good condition (I don't blow dry or straighten it either - maybe twice a year if I do).

What i have been told is that having a 'rinse' style dye i.e. not foils, from the hairdressers is better than getting it in a bottle off the shelf. And my last hairdresser said that all hair colourents contain so many chemicals that they all damage the hair. I did try the henna back in the day but to be honest never noticed any change!

Hi Satchi,

In my experience henna produces a really good result, reddy tones and lots of shine, I used to use it years ago; however, it does create a lot of mess and is much trickier to use than more synthetic dyes - it's basically equivalent to transferring a load of mud from a bowl and onto your head. I now use toners an shaders and I have very shiny hair, so I reckon they can't be that bad.

S

hi girls thanks for your helpful suggestions.
Eska what is toners and shaders, where can I get these?
How bout those semi-permanent wash in colours? Do they do the same damage as permanent colours?

My hair is white on the top of my head, or getting whiter and whiter, maybe its this phd, I don't know :-)
I really don't mind it, but I do get comments from friends... "why dont u colour your hair" "hey, so much whites"
I have seen customers at hair salons getting those foil-treatments, I dont know how much that costs, I was thinking of buying a box to self-dye.

satchi :-)

I have been told that the hair salong dye job - the rinse thing is much better for your hair (told by hairdresser trying to flog services btw), although obviously a bit more pricey to maintain, especially if you are concerned about roots.

The foils thing - I had it done 5 years ago and it ravaged my hair, it was so dry and broke off all the time, would never have it done again, I don't know how people walk around with bleached blonde hair it must be horrible!

The only thing about home dye is that you have to be careful about build up when you do the roots, so you don't get thick colour at the bottom because it has built up after so many dyes, although I have seen those brush/comb things you can use, just to touch up the roots, so maybe that's an option.

C

I know this isn't the kind of answer you are looking for, but I think you should keep it natural. It looks so much better and is so much more healthier for your hair.

I have never dyed my hair, and I too get compliments from the hairdressers about how nice they think my hair is. Saying that, I don't blow dry it either, so that's probably why it is so healthy (no split ends etc). The downside is that it takes about 3 hours for my hair to dry!

I find that my hair goes static if I use a hair dryer. If you want it looking shiny and straight though (and free from static), use a bit of hair serum while the hair is damp. It really emphasizes the natural colour of your hair too.

S

thanks Sneaks for the good advice!
I just got an email from my friend telling me to use Garnier!
Tomorrow I will get one box and try it :-)
happy happy
satchi

S

hi cobweb, I must have missed your post!
yes I agree with you, the natural look is the best; but now I have whites sticking out the top of my head :-)
have to go with the ageing process I guess.....haaaaa...

if i have all white everywhere, its ok. but the ones sticking out the top of my head...ohhhh

why does your hair take 3 hours to dry? do you have them pleated? I have relatively little hair, I guess, so it dries quite fast.

satchi

C

My hair's quite thick and really long (half way down my back). It's a pain in the arse when I wash it because I have to stay in til it's dry - but it gives lovely results the next day, so it's worth it.

S

wow you are so lucky!!!! (up)
I wish I had more hair!!!
satchi

Quote From Cobweb:

I have never dyed my hair, and I too get compliments from the hairdressers about how nice they think my hair is. Saying that, I don't blow dry it either, so that's probably why it is so healthy (no split ends etc). The downside is that it takes about 3 hours for my hair to dry!

I do the same - I never blow dry my hair, I just sit around with it wet half the time. ALthough its got a natural wave so it never looks very styled - just a long mess usually. I couldn't bare to cut it though because I use it to hide behind in times of embarrassment and think I would have to lose 25 stone to make a short cut look good on me!

N

Hi Satchi,

I work p/t in a hairdressers as a receptionist so hopefully I can help, without trying to sell you anything! If you have grey hairs appearing the colours you buy over the counter won't really work, at best they will last about 2-3 weeks depending on how often you wash your hair. Also colour takes to grey hair differently than to 'normal' hair so the result might be a bit patchy.

There is a new type of professional colour out called INOA colour, I think its made by L'Oreal and it contains no ammonia, therefore is much better for your hair. I would recommend this to you, especially since you are new to colouring your hair, personally I don't like henna. I don't know what area you are in but there should be a website with salons that have it, most of the chains (Toni&Guy, Headmasters etc) will have INOA now, and they're desparate to start using it on clients so look out for any special offers! Also make sure they give you a skin test first.

I don't want to come across as snobbish by not recommending home colour but the result is so much better with a salon colour, even if you get it done the first time in a salon you could probably follow it up with a home colour (especially if you're dark), just ask your stylist what they recommend.

C

The 'long mess look' is particularly fashionable at the moment, so you're probably fine for the time being. :-) Come to think of it, you'll probably lose 25 stone though just from getting it cut shorter wouldn't you?

well hopefully it will only need 2 stone, but also a husband that wouldn't hate me. He prefers the long hair and i fear would call be 'bowl cut' if I went for anything like a bob :-)