Harvard referencing questions

N

Dear all,

I was wondering if anyone could give me a hand with a little referencing issue. I am using the author-date system so a reference in my text would look like: (Williams 1988, p.198)... not ideal in my opinion but hey, not my choice! To top it all up, I am more used to MLA and I think I'm starting to get confused between the two systems. And obviously, I don't have a good guide for the author-date system which would answer the following questions...

So I've been writing this very short chapter (4000 words) which is absolutely crammed with references between brackets already, and I am stuck with the last few. First, I have two books by the same author, same publisher, same title, same year! I went ahead and numbered them a and b to make the difference - for example: (Williams 1988a, p.198). Do you know if that is the correct way to do it?

I also have several references from several volumes of Encyclopediae Britannica. I have done the same I did with the book - numbered them a, b and c, with each being a different volume, but I'm not convinced I even need to bother for an encyclopedia? Also, is there a commonly accepted abbreviation for its name? Because seeing the whole 'Encyclopediae Britannica' within brackets within my text makes me wonder - it just looks way too long!

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

N

Ha, after over an hour of intense googling I finally found what I needed. If it's of interest to anyone, here it is:

http://www.swinburne.edu.au/lib/researchhelp/harvard_style.html

If I knew how to use a search engine properly, I would have saved myself a lot of time :-s

D

Thanks for this Nadia! I was contemplating how to distinguish between my two references that were published in the same year. I was considering annotation with a or b but was unsure of the correct presentation. Now I am enlightened and you have saved me the googling!

N

Hi Dunni!

Well, that makes my day - at least I feel I struggled for the greater good, hehe :-)