Have you done anything unproffesional or stupidly inappropriate?

R

Has anyone done anything really really cringingly stupid, or on impulse, such that it has embarrassed you to the point of utter humiliation?? Maybe not you but any stories you heard? I have don something really silly today and the lab technician caught me red handed. And now she probably thinks I have psychological issues. Hell, even I'm doubting myself.

Come on, some stories to make me feel normal again!

K

You can't ask us to dish the dirt without telling your story! come on tell us!

M

ooooo! you have got to tell us now!!

H

Did something naughty with a test tube?

Tried to burn your nasal hairs using the bunsen burner?

Ate some agar jelly?

C

*drools*

Mmmmmm jelly...

R

Umm ok...I was in her office, she went to do some photocopying for me. I saw a piece of paper on her desk that one of my supervisors had drawn out diagrams of basically the stuff my MSC researh is about. I HAPPENED to have a camera, and out of complete utter impulse, I took a picture-just as she walked in. Oh dear god was I a bumbling fool afterwards. She is secretary to my supervior ad I'm worried she might tell her. She looked at me funny (basically like wtf) and I said oh sorry it looks a bit random but this is what my research is about. I should have said I realise what I did was completely unprofessional. I really dont want to jeopardise my working relationship with her, she has to teach me lab skills!
I swear I'm not weird. I just have moments of weakness sometimes. Should I go and talk to her, and just say I have ben worred about conequences upon my working relationship, and that I understand that it was completely inappropriate.

H

Thats not too bad, I'm sure she will eventually understand why you did it.

R

Last year during my undergrad project I stayed late (until around 8pm). It was dark. And no other researchers were around in labs. I was going to leave. I had to turn the light of on one side of lab and walk back to get out though the next door lab. I knocked over a tall bucket of chlorine. Splash! I couldn' see much in the dark but I hard sloshing everywhere. I stood still trying to imaging it wasnt happening. I went to tun the light back on to see the damage-it had gotten EVERYWHERE. Al around the incubators andfridges, behind them as well. It took me half an hour to soak it all up with industrial sized tissue paper. I clamboured all around the back of the incubators around loads fo wires. It was against rules that I was there, so I couldnt tell staff what ahppened. The wet tissue paper filled two large bin bags!

R

Maybe I was being paranoid. But there is no doubt though that she thinks I'm weird. I don't know what the hell possessed me.

Anyway, what are your stories? I'm sure someone out here must have hit on their supervisor, or got into trouble..come on!

B

I was walking with my supervisor outside and an insect flew into my eye. The tears wouldnt stop streaming and its a pretty nasty feeling knowing that their is a live animal in your body. It still bugs me when I think or type about it.

A

Once I've been sitting in a supervision meeting. Just me and my supervisor. It was very quiet as he was reading some paper I brought in. I've been sitting there and then: I farted really loud. I don't know why.

He pretended that nothing had happened but I thought I want to disappear forever...

J

I would have given it a rating out of 10...

J

Mind you I've just spend hours weighing out precise volumes of regent for an experiment (and I mean hours), and then as I picked up the tray with thereagents on, dropped it and spilt everything. Whole bloody afternoon wasted.

M

lol apollo!!
did it smell? (to add insult to injury)

V

I
1) started to cry in the 2nd year interview;
2) have asked at least 137 stupid questions in seminars, workshops and conferences