Have you ever compimented your supervsior on his/hers supervisory skills?

L

I have actually done this recently with great results. I said something along the lines of how lucky I am to have her and how great of a supervisor I think she is (I sounded sincere and NOT kiss-assy). She looked VERY happy with the compliment and seems to be putting even more effort than usual into my supervison. ;)

O

Yes, I have tried to do this, and it sometimes feels odd to know how to express it, but I think it is important to let a supervisor know if you appreciate their efforts. I know when I worked and supervised people that if once in a blue moon someone said, "I have really learned a lot from your supeversion," or something along those lines, it really felt good. Its nice to get appreciation from someone, and I am sure supervisors like to be appreciated and know that the work that they are doing is helpful!

O

I am fortunate because I really do think I have the gold standard in supervisors. Even people who meet my supervisor casually say at a conference always tell me what a good impression he makes and how fortunate I am to have this person as a supervisor. That would sound over the top to say to someone's face, but I do think letting my supervisor know that he is much appreciated is important from time to time.

L

Yes, it can feel awkaward so the moment has to be right. Mine was after completing a good talk. I thought along the lines of how good it feels when supervisor compliments my work - so it would probably make her happy if I did the same.

S

Well, I'm scratching my head to think what I would actually say - and then of course - I'd have to actually find my supervisor..

S

Ah-Oh

Is this necessary?

L

Is what necesseary?

B

Yeah, I've complimented and thanked my supervisor quite often - and he deserved it. He works hard, challenges me in the right places and has been a great support. Last year, after a hard 6 months... including conference and paper writing and prep for upgrade - I gave him a card just to say thanks for all the positive things he'd done over the year. He liked the card and seemed pleased to know that he was appreciated. I guess it depends on your supervisor and how you get on - but if they're good and work hard with you - then, why not say thanks once in a while? It's better than taking folk for granted, I guess.