help, confused about future

V

hi i hav done M.Sc biotechnology....is it essential that we have to write a theses in m.sc...because we dont have this.
im from india..how i ll become eligible for phd in abroad,by some exam??

J
R

if you are not doing any thesis as part of your current study,I would say it is ging to be very difficult to be accepted onto a PhD program directly and funding will be even a lot more difficult to secure

you dont seem to know much about PhDs in general so why do one? do you even have a topic in mind or a particulr country or university?

if you cant answer these questions,im afriad you are wasting your time asking for help on this site

A

I really hope I will not be working with people like jouri when I start my studentship.

J

Why not? I'm a nice guy! Just don't like silly questions..

A

Someone who is so scorning of 'silly' questions and doesn't consider that it may not be obvious where to find this kind of information to some people just doesn't fit in with my definition of 'nice guy' and would not be the kind of person I'd like to spend three years around! If you don't want to take the time to answer those 'silly ' questions ok, but why should you get annoyed by someone asking them? It seems like a sensible idea to ask questiond about postgraduate study in the UK on this forum. I was looking at doing my study abroad and it was really quite difficult to find info on how the system works in the country in whihc I intended to study, although it was probably very obvious to the people from there.

J

You're right. That sounds all nice, logical and plausible. But once you've been hanging around this forum for years, your tolerance for silly question decreases at the same pace as your annoyance tolerance for pretty much anything decreases. In other words, start your PhD for yourself and then, three years down the line, you might do similar things.

J

Besides, most people who ask questions of this type can not be bothered to do a proper search for themselves first. Fair enough if no information can be found but lazyness inevitably results in silly questions.

A

So, all PhD students are grumpy and arrogant?

J

Not all of them. Certainly not in the beginning. In very broad terms, I would outline the phases like this:

1. Excitment

2. Confusion

3. Hope

4. Frustration

5. Despair

6. Being exhausted

7. Cynical sarcasm

8. Completion

That particular order may not apply to everyone, but what is for sure, the PhD will change you over time.

V

redeculus... i thought that this forum is shared by some literate peoples...bt like jouri make this illterate..... amazing stilltthere r people like this

H

Pants...I'm at the cynical sarcasm stage already and I've only been doing it for 4 months. Then again, maybe that's just my personality.

A

Ok so, you are struggling with lots of hard work. so that means you have to be rude? I thought being rude and scornful like that was more to do with someone's personailty, but as you say maybe I'll understand when I'm a proper PhD student like you. ;)

V

and if the persons who r doing phd r like this,then i ll not do it.as much i know study concentrate on ur overall growth including behavior,bt these all r useless

J

In my opinion, the PhD changes the personality over time. Not everybodys', but it certainly has an impact. If you are a cheerful, friendly, open person now, expect to be an entirely different person once you get out of this. What I currently don't know is if the damage is only temporarily or not. If I look at older academics around me I expect the worst, to be honest.

Not trying to find excuses, though. Before I started the Ph.D, perhaps I wouldn't have considered the OPs' question as silly, but now I do. So, I have changed, not the question.