Help deciding between two different PhD research topics

U

Hello,

The time has come for me to decide between two PhD programs in Computer Science. I want to make a decision based on the research topics. In PhD A, I would work in a very well established field with an adviser who is a star in that field and have a lot a connections within 500-fortune companies. In PhD B, I would work in a very new but exciting field, with an average adviser who is also new in the field. People have told me and I have confirmed that with my own experience that it is very difficult to do publications in conferences related to topic A, but very easy in conferences related to topic B, because there is a lot of interest, many conferences, and a lot to be done. However, with topic A I know that I also would have great possibilities in the industry.

Professors have told me that I should choose topic B for the sake of being new and have more possibilities to contribute to the community. Also, I was told that should not matter the adviser nor the university for the PhD, because I should be able to work independently and alone.

What do you think?

P

what do u hope to gain from ur phd?

just a phd, or a phd + future prospect.

if u're just eyeing for a phd, i would recommend option B. it's practical and safe. u can set a target to complete it within 3 years, no hassle iA.

however, if u're looking for some added value, option A would be swell, just swell. it could be risky, but the risk does come with certain perks.

for me, i've already chosen option A for my research :)

U

Thank you for your answer. I definitively want to get the PhD and future prospect.