HELP!!!! Guide to getting a haircut needed!! =)

O

OK--I have now reached those crisis hair moments--eventually, I am going to have to face the terrifying ordeal of ***having someone new*** cut my hair. Beyond this, though, I have some rather silly sounding questions about this---but here they are nevertheless---
What is the usual "thing" people ask for when they go for a haircut? Is it just a cut, or do you ask for it to be styled and blown dry as well? What do you call this when you ask for it--in the US, this would be "cut and style" but not sure that the phrases are the same.

What is a typical price to expect to pay--not top of the range beauty salon, but somewhere that is going to do a competent job on your hair? Do you tip? Who? How much???

Thanks to anyone who can offer some help--these questions have me frozen, unable to take that next step and get some hair help!

H

I recommend: "all over number two"; the haircut of professional women seeking to get "a head" in business!
Failing that, its the same as in the US. I tip about 10% (usually because my haircut isn't exactly challenging - just a pair of clippers) more if you feel it's warranted.

O

Hi Olivia,
I would ask for a wash,cut and blowdry, or just a cut and blowdry (most places will only cut your hair after washing it). This will involve styling hair after cut.
I normal pay between 20 and 30 pounds although you can pay much more!
Normally tip a few pounds as well (bout 10%)

hope this helps!

O

The all over number two would be a drastic change from my you can no longer see my face my fringe has overgrown look. Perhaps something less...drastic! Besides radical hair changes might frighten trout, and that would make getting breakfast difficult.

O

Thanks, omegamonkey! That is exactly the information I needed! Now to work up the courage to actually GET the cut...

H

I'll cut it! I've not much experience (read "none at all") but enthusiasm in spades!

S

I also desperately need a hair cut - just trying to find the time to do it. 20-30 punds is definitely the cheaper end - especially in London. I can get it for that if i go to an old grannies place in the village (which have done) but more like 50 if I go to a 'regular' place in town.

O

smilodon you are probably right- I don't live in London and its likely to be quite a bit more in London.
Although my husband thinks £30 is a rip off to cut hair - thinks hes in the wrong job!!

O

Those prices do give one pause...at least on a student-y budget. It is a choice I fear between the new book I really need to buy ( at about half the price of a hair cut!) and better hair...

I hate to even ask this..but are there less expensive options, like with trainee hair people at a beauty school? Is this safe?

J

Many cities have a branch of Supercuts: it's a no-booking hairdressing chain where you queue up until a hairdresser is available (usually about an hour's wait). They're usually cheaper that other places but I've had many nice haircuts from them.

Salon locator: http://www.supercuts-uk.com/locator.cfm

S

Most places usually wash hair so you just want to ask for a 'cut & blowdry'. I live in a village in Kent (I commute to London for Uni), and get a wet cut for £12. I have a morning appointment, and go in with my hair freshly washed and still wet. I then go home and blow dry my own hair- I blowdry it every other day so why pay for someone else to do it? Makes it alot cheaper!!

B

I pay around £40 for an immaculate cut that I don't have to style, grows out brilliantly and doesn't have to be cut for another 3 months or so. I would strongly suggest, if your haircut is really important to you, to try somewhere like 'Toni and Guy' where you can't go wrong really, and ask for a senior stylist. In most salons, the prices will vary depending on which level of stylist you ask for.

S

When I was a student in London I had my hair cut at a college for hairdressers - I think that one was on Tottenham court road. In fact, I had it permed and radically highlighted so that I had dark brown hair with bleached blond stripes. I thought it was fantastic - my poor mother didn't recognise me when I got off the train....

Dh pays about a tenner for his haircut.

S

Hi toni and guy have a couple of academies in London and they offer really good cuts cheaply (about £15). I often go there and everyone comments on how good my hair looks - when I do it its a dry frizzy mess!