HELP! Need to make career changing decision

S

Hi all,
I'm an MBA (US) planning to do a full-time PHD(Business-CSR) in UK. Honestly, I don't have any kind of research background nor do i have any papers published. The only research I have ever done is for the projects in MBA.I know I have an uphill task ahead. I still have to study a lot before I could prepare the Research Proposal even for applying to the universities. I had few questions if anyone can help me out I'll be really thankful.
1. I don't have any funds to support myself? When can I apply for scholarships for international students and what are the chances that I would get full funding?
2. I'm having a job right now(A source of income), which is only denting my skills and I dont see my self growing in this job anyway? So for me to take up PHD I have to leave this job and start preparing for PHD? Should take this risk of leaving the job and start preparing for PHD especially when Im dependant on full scholarship?
3. Do I have to write GMAT to get an admission in UK?
4. If possible I would like to save some money send some money back to my parents? Will it be possible with the income of stipends, I'm really willing to work hard so that i can be helpful to my family?
5. Is it true that some universities would also give free accomodation to phd students in some cases?
6. I guess i miss the deadlines for this year, I dont mind waiting for few months, as it is I have to start preparing for the research proposal?

I know its a long list, but your little help make my career and i'll be thankful to you all. Thanks a lot, God bless u all.

T

I don't know if this is the case everywhere in the UK but at my university, if you do a science PhD generally you don't write the research proposal or get the funding, the supervisor does that and then for you it's like applying for a job to get that project/ position. It's probably different for business- I don't know - you should check it out though. Not sure about the free accomodation - I've never heard of that. Alot of the time they will let you live in university halls (like first year undergraduates do ) and you can get that free if you agree to be a 'warden' at my uni (telling people off if they are too noisy or whatever). The best way to try and get a bit of extra money is try and get some teaching/ marking of undergraduate work - it usually pays pretty well and its a wage so you could definately send that home (I do 5 1/2 hours a week of teaching and get £14 an hour so it's quite a nice bit of extra money). Saving money is of course possible - it all depends on how frugally you are willing to live. bear in mind that you will probably need to save a bit so that you can keep going for a couple of months after your funding runs out - most people don't finish in 3 years.the average time is more like 3 and a half years.

Hope that helps