HELP - Quick referencing query ...

B

If you are citing quotes from a website, do you guys do page numbers (or just dates by the persons name and then quote as normal without page numbers)?

e.g. [...] as Bloggs (2002) stated 'oranges are good'. He further argued ...

Also, does the same apply for if you are using newspaper articles/journal articles you have accessed via the web (or are you expected to root out the original newspaper clipping and get the page numbers)?

P

I know with the Harvard system when quoteing off a website it is alright to leave out page number if it is not clear on the site itself. Just author and year is OK I believe.

P

oops bit quick with the add message button. This is along as you make it clear it is an online source in the bibliography.

B

Thanks Pea (yes, I'll be making it clear in the bib that the sources are online ones).

S

In the bib you also have to include the date you accessed the site

J

you should also make sure you keep a copy of the material (as website addresses can change, and if they go to look they may not find it) then if someone asks you can show then where it came from

B

Thanks for the info - yes I've put 'accessed' dates on and have kept copies of the articles!