HELP!!! with printing table

O

I have prepared a beeeeyooooootiful table and now I want to print it off. Unfortunately I cannot figure out how to either shrink it so it all fits on one page, or make it print legibly on to more than one page. Its a table constructed with the most basic of Microsoft Word commands--not in Excel or anything that requires higher brain function to work. Or so I thought.

I am sure that there must be an easy way to format it to print off and it doesnt matter how many pages its on...but I cannot figure it out. Sigh.

Any help??!!! Any guidance much appreciated.

J

the print preview option should show you how it will print out, what does it look like?

O

Thanks for the offer of help! The table is cut off, some of the right hand cells do not show up, and no matter how I try to manipulate this, it does not print off right...

S

Without really knowing how big the table is, how much data is on it, what size font you need and what you have already tried its difficult to suggest anything.
Have you tried Dragging the margin sliders at the top and side of the word document to increase the size of the printable area - you can increase these quite a bit and try
If you can let us know a bit mroe about the table then I might be able to help

S

Olivia,

When printing in Microsoft Word 2003 edition (I assume your using this), if you select the table you want to print and then go into the print menu (file--print). Under 'Page Range', you can select the 'Selection' button, which will print the table you selected.

Then there is another section called 'Zoom' where there is a drop down menu with 'Scale to paper size' if you choose A4, hopefully it shoould print on just one A4 page. Make sure that you have tried it on both landscape and portrait to see what prints best.

Hope this helps!

O

Thanks all for the suggestions--I have tried these but keep getting some strange formatting...oh well. I have enough to take to my supervision meeting anyway! I will just confess my inability to make the table print the way I wanted... On the plus side, I have enjoyed interacting with the Microsoft help cartoon. I made mine a dog! Its cute and it barks! So much better than that annoying paperclip thing!

O

Hmmm..does the Evil Fuzzy have a dayjob as the Cat Microsoft Help Icon?!

S

Evil fuzzy? Am confused?

O

Smilodon's famous cat!

C

Olivia, i do not know if this would help but i has for me in the past when working with massive table. You know the margin control on the top of your word document, if you adjust both the start and end margins by moving it closer to the start and to the end respectively. All your work should be accomodated depending on the size.

H

Hi Olivia, which version of word are you using. When you go to print preview, there is an option to "shrink one page" on the one I'm using.

J

this is one thing that word does - probably because it can. One way round it may be to select all the text and use a smaller font. then when you have managed to get it to print off - and do try landscape if it is a wide table- you can take it to a photocopier and enlarge it so you can read it! If it is really annoying, copy and paste it into excel using the paste special command. (I'm assuming you know how to make the columns wider by double clicking between them etc)and it should print happily on as many sheets as it takes. You may be able to alter the margins a bit, or change the paper parameters, but make sure you have saved it before you do anything drastic, word doesn't like to be tampered with

O

Thanks all, for the suggestions...I have given up for the time being. Microsoft's table wins this round. I may just reproduce these things in text format. Excel requires a higher brain power than I have/want to obtain. I would be most at home, technologically speaking, I believe, with a stone tablet and a chisel. Pre-wheel of course.

J

Excell is good!you can make it do loads of stuff if you ask it nicely, there may be a beginners course in your area,or if you need any specific help just ask on here. (just remember a computer can't point and laugh if you do something wrong...yet!)

J

Don't know if this is abit late (if it is at least you know for next time but if you want to force the entire table onto one page do the following:
File Page Set Up
the select the 'Page' tab you can specify how many pages you want the data to fit on.

Hope that helps.