Here we go again - advice needed again

C

I've got yet another PhD interview....I am dreading it - not the actual interview but how I will feel if I get knocked back again. Anyway, they want me to do a 5 minute presentation with the title 'my previous research' - very vague and really stumped already! Which research should I focus on? One study in particular, my favourite study, my preferred methods - ahhhhh! I Any help please ???

B

The one you enjoyed most. That way, your heart's in the presentation, and they'll hear it in your voice.

A

======= Date Modified 10 Jun 2011 18:40:48 =======

Quote From beajay:

The one you enjoyed most. That way, your heart's in the presentation, and they'll hear it in your voice.

I agree with Beajay as five mins is so short that if they haven't stated what they want it's a good idea to present something you are enthusiastic about. You could state in the opening few lines that your previous research was on 'x' topic, its title was 'y' and today "I'm going to focus on my methodological approach..." or words to that effect!

Edit: Btw, Beajay is long overdue a star, lots of really good advice in numerous threads - he/she needs a vote!!

B

Quote From ady:

======= Date Modified 10 Jun 2011 18:40:48 =======
[quote]Quote From beajay:

Edit: Btw, Beajay is long overdue a star, lots of really good advice in numerous threads - he/she needs a vote!!

Oh wow! Thanks, mate! I'm female, 66, long-time (fairly successful) professional international author, journalist, and broadcaster, and just got my PhD!

I really appreciate what you said. And I'll give any amount of free advice here (I'm also a national agony aunt!)

I had a pretty weird PhD experience. Not really good. But I promise to be objective!

A

Really interesting and impressive resumé Beajay :-)

C

I was also asked to give a presentation - but they were a little kinder by giving me an outline:
Why I am suitable - what experience and academic training makes me able to complete the PhD
What is the importance of the research?

I'm doing conservation so it was field work and lab experience for the first bit and relevance of genetics in criminal investigations for anti-poaching for the second. I guess they want you to tell them what you know.

C

:-( Didn't get it...again. As usual there were outstanding candidates that applied. I now consider myself non-outstanding !