History MA on a high 2:2?

L

I have just currently recieved my provisional overall results for my third year and it is looking more then likely that I will recieve a high 2:2 of 59. In my four modules I had 61, 60, 58, 56 which I think gives me a rough average of 58.8.
I applied for an MA at UWE in Bristol and they offered me conditional acceptance subjective to me gaining a 2:1.
What do you think my chances are of still getting on considering I recieved a 2:1 on my Dissertation?

N

======= Date Modified 22 Jun 2010 23:00:06 =======
Hi, I don't like to make assumptions on things like this as every university has different regulations. Did you have an interview for your MA course? I think that with a 2:2 that high, you will probably be ok - it might be a good idea to email the admissions tutor though, or somebody else at UWE who you have been in contact with to make sure. Dependant on what the exam board decide, you may get 2:1, sometimes they push it up a bit if you're close to the next grade. I hope that's helped a bit, and good luck.

K

Hey there! I think you will be okay- the masters degrees I know about seem to be fairly flexible with admission, especially given how much people pay to do the masters courses! The formal requirement for the MSc I did was a 2.1, but there were numerous people on the course with a 2.2, and not necessarily a high one either. Perhaps you could contact the uni for clarification- after all, all unis are different- but I would think that you'll be okay. Good luck! KB

L

Thank you guys, you have taken a huge weight off of my mind, it was odd circumstances as I transferred from an Ancient History degree to a History one in my final year which is why I found it so hard to adjust! Hence why the modules that I bothered to turn up to, I did really well in having a 70 on one final exam in Divine Right and Regicide but one awful piece of cw I did at start of year bought in down to a 61 over all, same as in the module I recieved 56 in, had 62 on cw but only 50 on the exam which wasnt too bad given I only went to one lecture due to my hate of 'Crime in America' (Business crime, extremely dull). No I did not require a interview as my tutor who is a senior lecturer highly recommended me so fingers crossed :). He knew I had had trouble adjusting to a new course spec etc and said as long as I had a 2:1 on my diss I would be ok.
Thankyou for the help

G

I remember there were a few friends who got an aggregate between 57-59.9%. The classification rule at their university was to award a 2:1 if they have 5 modules above 65% and 2 above 70% in whole 4 year course.
Check this out at your university web pages...or the academic responsible for this.